ASL was established in the 1940s at Northwestern University and has since grown to more than 300 chartered chapters across the United States. It is the oldest and largest, chapter-based honor society for full- and part-time students. This Society connects adult learners throughout the country.
Beta Lambda Zeta
UAB established a chapter in the fall of 2014, Beta Lambda Zeta. The following students have been inducted into the Beta Lambda Zeta chapter since its inception:
Click links to view member bios.
- Christa Mojica, Management, Collat School of Business
- Liliana Rogala, Foreign Languages, College of Arts and Sciences
- Mark Willenbrock, Information Systems, Collat School of Business
- Mindy Neureiter, Information Systems, Collat School of Business
- Terri Phillips, Accounting, Collat School of Business
- Vickie Ray, Communication Management, College of Arts and Sciences
- Charles Coleman, International Studies, College of Arts and Sciences
- Jenna Hudson, Early Childhood and Elementary Education, School of Education
- Tonya McKinney, Accounting, Collat School of Business
- Rhonda Morrow, Accounting, Collat School of Business
- Denise Rice, Accounting, Collat School of Business
- Mary Rush, Nursing, School of Nursing
- Hannah Webber, Communication Studies, College of Arts and Sciences
Past Induction Ceremonies
Standards for Student Membership
Membership in ASL is by invitation only. Students must have completed a minimum of 24 semester hour credits or the equivalent* at UAB (not including transfer credits) and all of those credits must count toward their cumulative GPA. At least 12 of those total credits must have been earned in the Liberal Arts/Sciences area, not including applied Arts/Sciences courses. Transfer credits may be used to fulfill the Liberal Arts/Sciences requirements, but must be in addition to the 24 semester credit hours earned from UAB. Members must also have at least a 3.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale. Members are selected from the highest 20 percent of students who meet the requirements. For more information about ASL at UAB, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Thirty-six quarter hours or an approved number of unit courses equal to twenty-four semester hours.
Beta Lambda Zeta Committee
The following are the committee members for the Beta Lambda Zeta chapter at UAB:
Dr. Elizabeth Fisher, Chapter Councilor
Interim Executive Director
eLearning and Professional Studies
Office of the Provost
Dr. Lynn Kirkland
Professor and Chair
Curriculum and Instruction
School of Education
Dr. Laurel Hitchcock
College of Arts and Sciences
Mr. Stephen Yoder
Marketing, Industrial Distribution & Economics
Collat School of Business
Dr. Suzanne Judd
Assistant Dean and Associate Professor
School of Public Health
Alpha Sigma Lambda Scholarship
ASL has a national scholarship program that awards scholarships to adult learners in universities that have an ASL chapter. Each year, UAB is allowed to nominate to students to be considered for the scholarship. The students do not have to be a member of ASL in order to be nominated.
- Student is currently enrolled at UAB and is pursuing a bachelor's degree
- Student has completed 24 graded semester hours (or equivalent) in institutional coursework by the completion of the fall semester at UAB with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Student demonstrates a financial need for the current academic year.
For more information about the Alpha Sigma Lambda scholarship program, please contact email@example.com.
National ASL Social Media
You can stay connected with other ASL members through social media: