Online proctoring services are available and accessible through Canvas. Use the following resources to learn more about ProctorU and how to use it.
Note: UAB eLearning pays for two exams (2.5 hours or less) per student per online course (course must be within a Q course section). This does not include fees associated with students missing exam sessions or scheduling exam sessions late. Additional exams may be purchased in addition to the ones that UAB eLearning will cover, but the fees for these additional courses must be paid by the school/department or student.
Get Started with ProctorU
- Read the Proctoring Guidelines.
- View the Online Proctoring: How It Works.
- View the ProctorU Technical Requirements.
- View the ProctorU ADA Compliance Document.
- Review the ProcturU Security Handout.
- Review the ProctorU Security Packet.
Prepare Your Students
- Download and Share the Student ProctorU Guide.
- Remind Your Students to Avoid Fees Associated with Late Scheduling and Missed Exams:
- If they are using a computer that has a built-in webcam, they will need to have something with a reflective surface on it when taking the test. This is to ensure that the proctor can view the outer frame of the computer (checking for sticky notes or similar things). Examples of reflective surfaces may include a mirror, the back of a CD, or cell phone (which would be put out of reach before taking the test).
Schedule Your Exams
- Use the Faculty ProctorU Guide to Learn How to Schedule Your Exams.
- Scheduled Exams with ProctorU Three Weeks Prior to Exam Date.
Get Technical Support
ProctorU Representative: Hailey Schnorr
Phone: 855-772-8678 x.708
See Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
- Do proctors take a picture of the ID? If so, how long are those kept?
If a photo is taken of the ID's they are purged after 14 days.
- How long are videos kept?
We only record sessions if there is an incident. These videos are stored on our US based servers for 30 days and then deleted.
- What is the software that students have to download? Can you explain that? There’s a concern that it may cause a virus. Have there been any reports of that?
Students download a one time applet called "Log Me In Rescue". Once they disconnect from ProctorU the applet deletes it's self. Each time the student connects they have to re-download, install and run the applet.
- Do I have to have all of my exam materials ready when I schedule my exam with ProctorU?
No. ProctorU does not need your exam materials when you schedule your exams.
- Does Proctor U cover more time in a test if DSS accommodations are needed?
Yes. ProctorU is ADA compliant and will accommodate any students who have an accommodation due to a disability. All you will need to do is ensure the time accommodation is set in Canvas for that student and notify ProctorU. You can notify ProctorU either by emailing the accommodation information to firstname.lastname@example.org or by entering it when you submit your exam information through your account.
- Do students need to have a full length mirror to take a test?
No, but they may need something else with a reflective surface. If the student is using a computer that has a built-in webcam, they will need to have something with a reflective surface, for example the back of a CD or a cellphone (put out of reach before testing begins). This will allow the proctor to view the outer frame of the computer to check for sticky notes or similar items.
Get the Guides
Click on the buttons below to download the Faculty and Staff guides.