Five Ways to Maximize your English Study
- Participate actively in class. Learning a language is like learning a musical instrument. You must repeat skills again and again to learn them.
- Ask questions. Questions don't offend teachers in U. S. culture. They show your interest. Teachers are eager to help you undertand more!
- Take risks to try out new skills in class, even if you haven't perfected them yet. Remember that everyone else in your class is learning, too.
- Review what you are studying in your free time. It takes multiple reminders and much practice for our brains to really "learn" new language skills.
- Create opportunities to practice what you are studying outside of class. As you use English for learning and communication in your normal life, you will increasingly master it!.
Are you wondering what class to take next? See our upcoming course schedule for ideas.
Are you interested in full-time English study, or do you know someone who may be? Explore our Intensive English Program for more information.
Do you need instructions on getting a UAB student parking lot pass? See our Parking and Directions for information.
We welcome your feedback and ideas! Feel free to write us at Student Feedback with your suggestions.
Check out the UAB English Language Institute page on Facebook. Become a fan, post your updates, and connect with fellow students and ELI staff!