How Can We Serve You?At the ELI, we hope to offer English language and cross-cultural communication training that meets your needs. Below are typical student situations and our suggestions for how we can help you. Of course, if you feel that you have a different, specific goal that you would like to discuss, please contact our office.
I want to take some classes to improve my English.
- Please visit our listing of possibilities for Part-time English study for descriptions of the part-time courses we offer.
- Please read about our Intensive English Program (IEP) to learn about our full-time study option, which offers core classes, enrichment activities, and elective courses to rapidly improve your English language skills.
- When you apply for full-time study in our Intensive English Program (IEP), you can receive an I-20 from UAB for the application of an F-1 student visa for English language study. Please contact the IEP Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org, who will guide you through the IEP application process and help you in applying for your I-20 from UAB’s International Recruitment and Student Services department.
- Consider one of our courses in General or Business English or the services available through our Workplace English Program. View our Upcoming Course Schedule for information about dates and times of specific upcoming courses.
- View our Upcoming Course Schedule for information about an upcoming TOEFL® Preparation course, including topics, dates, times, and cost.
- Consider enrolling in our Intensive English Program (IEP) to take courses to prepare you for university coursework at UAB or another institution. The program has full-time and part-time study options.
- Please visit the list of our Scientific Research and Healthcare English Courses for a list of courses we offer designed specifically for post-docs and professional researchers. View our Upcoming Course Schedule for information about dates and times of specific upcoming courses.
- As a visiting scholar, you are able to enroll in any of our part-time courses. Please visit the listings of courses available through Part-time English Study with us. If you are unsure which course is best for your needs, please contact our office for assistance.
- We have classes available to improve your English pronunciation and reduce your accent. Please visit General and Business English Courses for details on our Pronunciation and Accent Training class.
- Please direct your colleagues to our Part-time English Study page, which has links to descriptions of the variety of courses we offer. Also, our Workplace English Program may be of interest to your company or department. If a group class is not appropriate for your situation, Corporate Tutoring is available.
- The ELI specializes in cross-cultural communication training for companies. We can focus on general cross-cultural skills or on working with a specific culture. For more information, visit Cross-cultural Training for descriptions of what we can offer.
- The ELI is a great resource for international business people and their families. Invite your clients, customers, or colleagues to view our website for the variety of Programs we offer or Part-time English Study options that may be appropriate for their workplace English needs. Spouses, children, and family members of business people often find that the ELI's Intensive English Program provides exactly the type of English training they are seeking. for. The ELI can send flyers and information to you electronically or in print that you are welcome to distribute.
- At this time the ELI can only tutor on a contract-basis with area businesses or other UAB departments. For information on setting up tutoring, please visit our Corporate Tutoring page.