MASTER of ENGINEERING
Apply for Admission
- Fall Admission - July 1
- Spring Admission - November 1
- Summer Admission - April 1
- An undergraduate degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA from a regionally accredited school. NOTE: undergraduate degree does not have to be in engineering
- A minimum of 5 years experience in safety or a safety-related field.
* If you are not in a direct safety role (such as a safety manager or safety specialist), yet are directly responsible for safety decision-making and implementation (such as a plant manager), and have approximately 5 years of experience with safety decision-making and implementation, you may also apply for admission.
If you feel that you have close to this amount of experience and would like to discuss your qualifications before you apply, please contact our Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Three recommendations. One of the recommendations must be from a current, direct supervisor. One of the recommendations must be a self-recommendation essay.
- No entrance tests are required.
- Applicants not satisfying the GPA requirement and/or holding a degree from a nationally accredited school may receive admission on a provisional basis subject to assessment and recommendation of the program director.
- If more information is needed, based on the application review committee’s assessment of your experience and qualification, applicants may be required to participate in a brief web conference interview.
How to Apply:
Go to Apply Yourself to complete and submit your online application
- On the page that appears after you create an account and receive your PIN, choose Graduate Application. Then follow the directions below:
- In the green column on the left side of the page (see box right), under “Application for Admission as a Degree‐Seeking Student,” there are five links provided.
- Application Information page: click here to apply. For "Program Applying to" choose Advanced Safety Engineering and Management/MEng from drop down menu. ASEM applicants are not required to submit GRE test scores. For “Admission Test 1” choose “waived” and for “Date Taken” enter the current month/year. International applicants are not required to provide TOEFL scores. A personal essay is not required.
Letters of Recommendation
A minimum of three letters of recommendation are required by the ASEM program and may be submitted to the program via the Apply Yourself System or via email to email@example.com. One of these must be a self-recommendation letter in which applicants summarize their background and explain why they think they should be admitted to the program. Electronic submission through Apply Yourself is preferred.
PLEASE NOTE: Only those recommendations that are submitted online are recorded by the Apply Yourself System. If a recommendation is delivered via e‐mail to ASEM, your Apply Yourself Admission Status will indicate that the recommendation has not been received and that your application is incomplete. To verify that ASEM has received the recommendations that were not submitted through Apply Yourself, please contact Randy Cadieux by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Regardless of your recommendation provider’s delivery method, their names and contact information must be included in your application. Go to the Recommendations page (see box right: the link is at the bottom of the green column on the Apply Yourself page), click on “Recommendation Provider List,” and enter the requested information.
Choose "Yes" for the online submission question on the Provider Input Form. Let your providers know that they will receive an e‐mail containing an access code and instructions on how to submit their recommendation. If your providers use a spam‐blocking tool, please ask them to add email@example.com to their list of known/safe addresses. (The notification e‐mails will show "University of Alabama at Birmingham" as the sender, but they will come from firstname.lastname@example.org.) Recommendations provided via email should be sent to email@example.com.
- Domestic: $45.00
- International: $60.00
Have one official transcript from each of the colleges/universities that you have attended sent directly from those institutions to the Graduate School:
UAB Graduate School
1720 2nd Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35294-0013