The Department of Biomedical Engineering at UAB was founded in 1979 and was a graduate-only program until 2001. Our first bachelor's students graduated in 2002, and to date BME alumni include 138 bachelor's, 278 master's and 86 doctoral graduates across that globe working to improve the quality of life.
Biomedical Engineering BS graduates from the Class of 2013 are:
- Working for Epic Systems (2), Compass, and VEA Nortrak
- Interning at a local law firm and the American Heart Association before applying to law school and medical school
- Going to graduate or professional school (not dental or medical) at these institutions: UAB (5), Vanderbilt University (2), and the University of South Alabama.
- Going to medical or dental school at these institutions: UAB School of Dentistry, unspecified medical school.
Note: data was drawn from the BME Graduate Exit Survey given to students prior to May commencement.
In the 2011-2012 academic year, the Department of Biomedical Engineering graduated 19 bachelor's, eight master's, and four Ph.D. students. As of June 2012:
- 14 of 19 bachlor's graduates who applied for graduate school, professional school, or a position in industry were placed—one in industry, five in graduate school, and eight in professional school (Medical, Law, Pharmacy, & Nursing).
- M.S. graduates saw seven out of eight placed—three in industry, three in the BME Ph.D. program, and one in UAB's Medical School
- Ph.D. graduates were at 100% placement—one with the U.S. Food & Drug Administration, one with UAB's CI Therapy Research Group, one post-doctoral fellow at the University of Pennsylvania, and one prosthodontic resident at the University of Illinois-Chicago.