Program Educational Objectives
The CCEE Department has developed the following educational objectives for graduates of the CE program. Three to six years after graduation, graduates who choose to practice in the Civil Engineering field should:
- Achieve a level of technical competency that allows them to advance in engineering practice and/or research.
- Pursue lifelong learning, such as graduate study and other professional education, and professional licensure.
- Engage in service to the profession through involvement in professional societies, community activities, and educational outreach.
ABET Student Outcomes
Student outcomes reflect the knowledge, skills, and technical abilities students will need in order to achieve the program educational objectives. At the time of graduation, students in the civil engineering program shall demonstrate:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics through differential equations, calculus-based physics, chemistry, geology, and engineering (ABET outcome 3a).
- An ability to design and conduct civil engineering experiments as well as analyze and interpret data (ABET outcome 3b).
- An ability to design a system, component, or process in more than one civil engineering context to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability (ABET outcome 3c).
- An ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams (ABET outcome 3d).
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems (ABET outcome 3e).
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility (ABET outcome 3f).
- An ability to communicate effectively (ABET outcome 3g).
- An ability to understand the impacts of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context (ABET outcome 3h).
- A recognition of the need for and ability to engage in life-long learning and obtain professional licensure (ABET outcome 3i).
- A knowledge of contemporary issues (ABET outcome 3j).
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice (ABET outcome 3k).
- A knowledge of management, leadership, and business practices (outcome added by CE Department).