Eberhardt, Alan W., PhD
Associate Dean, School of Engineering; Professor of Biomedical Engineering
1075 13th Street South Birmingham, AL 35294-4440
(205) 934-8437 (fax)
PhD, Theoretical & Applied Mechanics, Northwestern University, 1990
MS, Civil Engineering, University of Delaware, 1987
BS, Civil Engineering, University of Delaware, 1985
EGR 301 Engineering Honors Seminar
BME 498 Product Development
BME 499 Senior Design
BME 417/517 Engineering Analysis
BME 471/571 Continuum Mechanics
BME 676/776 Fracture Mechanics
Dr. Eberhardt's major interests lie in two areas: orthopedic biomechanics and injury biomechanics. He has a history of study related to total joint replacements involving biomechanics and biomaterials, including surface treatments, implant tribology, implant design, and forensic analysis. His experience with the study of biomechanical response of the pelvis in automotive side impacts and in the presence of metastatic bone lesions includes both experimental and computational (finite element) biomechanics. He also serves as PI on NIH and NSF funded grants aimed at facilitating undergraduate designs of biomedical devices, including those to aid persons with disabilities.
RECENT PUBLICATIONS (2008-2010)
1. Miller M.A., Eberhardt A.W., Cleary R.J., Verdonschot N., Mann K.A., "Micro-mechanics of Post-mortem Retrieved Cement-Bone Interfaces," Journal of Biomechanics, 28(2):170-7, 2010.
2. Ponce, B.A., Hosemann, C.D., Raghava, P., Tate, J.P., Eberhardt, A.W., Lafosse, L., "Biomechanical Evaluation of Three Arthroscopic Self-Cinching Stitches for Shoulder Arthroscopy: the Lasso-Loop, Lasso-Mattress, and Double- Cinch Stitches," The American Journal of Sports Medicine, Vol. 39, No. 1, DOI: 10.1177/036354651038339445, 2010.
3. Baker M.I., Eberhardt A.W., Martin D.M., McGwin G., Lemons J.E., " Bone properties surrounding hydroxyapatite-coated custom osseous integrated dental implants," Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied Biomaterials, Volume 95B, Issue 1, pages 218–224, 2010.
4. Stewart R.L., Goldstein J., Eberhardt A.W., Chu G., Gilbert S.R. Increasing Vascularity to Improve Healing of a Segmental Defect of the Rat Femur. J Orthop Trauma, 25(8):472. 2011. PMID21738061
5. Ramaswamy, G., Sohn, P., Eberhardt, A. and Serra, R., "Altered responsiveness to TGF-beta results in reduced Papss2 expression and alterations in the biomechanical properties of mouse articular cartilage," Arthritis Research & Therapy, 14:R49 doi:10.1186/ar3762, 2012.
6. Kim, Y.-H., Kim, J.E., Eberhardt, A.W., "A new cortical thickness mapping method with application to an in vivo finite element model," Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, DOI:10.1080/10255842.2012.731594, 2012.
7. Fee TJ, Dean DR, Eberhardt AE, Berry, JL. A Novel Device to Quantify the Mechanical Properties of Electrospun Nanofibers. J of Biomechanical Engineering Oct 2012, 134:104503-1-5.
8. Savage A, Spruiell M, Schwertz J, McGwin G, Eberhardt A, Ponce B. "The Effect of Sliding Knots on the Suture-Tendon Interface Strength: a Biomechanical Analysis Comparing Sliding and Static Arthroscopic Knots," American Journal of Sports Medicine, Volume 41, Issue 2, pp. 296 – 301, 2013.
9. Ponce BA, Thompson KJ, Raghava P, Eberhardt AW, Tate JP, Volgas DA, Stannard JP. "The Role of Medial Comminution and Calcar Restoration in Varus Collapse of Proximal Humerus Fractures Treated with Locking Plates", J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013 Aug 21;95(16):e113(1-7). doi: 10.2106/JBJS.K.00202.PMID: 23965707
Current as Principal Investigator
1. "Enhanced Senior Design through Clinical and Industrial Immersion and Entrepreneurship. National Institutes of Health", 1R25HD078327-01A1, PI, $108,000, 04/01/13- 3/31/18.
2. "Engineering Senior Design Projects for the Disabled: A Business-Engineering Alliance," National Science Foundation, PI, $125,000, 6/15/13-6/14/18.
3. "Biomechanical Characterization of SI Joint Motion Following Implantation of Sacral Fusion Plugs," Nutech Medical UAB Link 501404, PI, $78,570, 01/01/13 – 06/30/15
Current as Investigator
1. "Bioengineering Research Partnership", National Institutes of Health, Y. Vohra (PI), co-investigator, $1,292,919, 10/01/10 – 3/15/13.
2. "Interactive Exercise Technologies and Exercise Physiology for people with disabilities," United States Department of Education, J. Rimmer (PI), $4,750,000, 10/1/2012 - 09/30/2017.
Scientific Proposal Review
Veterans Administration Rehabilitation Research and Development Service
National Science Foundation, Bioengineering, RAPD Program
Ad-hoc journal article reviewer
Journal of Biomechanics
Journal of Biomechanical Engineering
Annals of Biomedical Engineering
Journal of Biomaterials Research: Part B – Appl. Biomaterials
Medical Engineering and Physics