Ph.D., University of Illinois at Chicago
Dr. Virginia Sisiopiku is an Associate Professor in the Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering with over 20 years of transportation experience. Since joining UAB in 2002, she has directed the UAB transportation program, and supported the Great Urban Serving Universities Program, the University Transportation Center for Alabama, and UAB University Transportation Center through research, scholarship, and service activities. She now leads the collaboration between UAB and STRIDE, a Regional University Transportation Center (UTC) funded through RITA in 2012 and led by the University of Florida. Prior to joining UAB, Dr. Sisiopiku was an Assistant Professor at Michigan State University and a faculty member of the Traffic Safety and Operation Center of Excellence. She has also served as an Adjunct Faculty at the Illinois Institute of Technology and as a consulting transportation engineer in Illinois, Michigan, Alabama, and Georgia.
Dr. Sisiopiku’s research interests include intelligent transportation systems, congestion management, traffic operations and safety, simulation and modeling, non-motorized transportation, and transportation security.
Current Research (2012-present)
1. Investigating the Effect of Drivers’ Body Motion on Traffic Safety, with Barmpoutis A. and Kondyli A., USDOT-STRIDE/ALDOT.
2. Teaching Schoolchildren Pedestrian Safety: A Pragmatic Trial Using Virtual Reality, with Schwebel D. and Rodriguez D. USDOT-STRIDE/ALDOT.
3. Empirically-Based Performance Assessment and Simulation of Pedestrian Behavior at Unsignalized Crossings, with Schroeder B., Elefteriadou L, USDOT-STRIDE/ALDOT.
4. Digital Advertising Billboards and Driver Distraction, with A. Gan, D. Stavrinos, and A. Sullivan (co-PIs), USDOT-NCTSPM/ALDOT.
5. Development of Educational and Professional Training Modules on Green/Sustainability Design and Rating Systems for Neighborhood Development and Transportation, with Peters R.W. and Amekudzi A., USDOT-STRIDE/ALDOT.
6. Transportation Workforce Development, USDOT-STRIDE.
7. Optimizing EMS through the Use of Intelligent Transportation Systems Technologies with A. Sullivan, M. Hadi, R. Griffin, USDOT-NCTSPM/ALDOT.
8. A Naturalistic Driving Study Across the Lifespan, with D. Starvinos and L. Ross, USDOT-STRIDE/ALDOT.
9. Regional Data Clearinghouse Activities-Transportation Data Center, Phase II, with A. Sullivan, Regional Planning Commission of Greater Birmingham (RPCGB).
10. The UAB Hydrogen Fuel Cell Bus- A Transit Initiative, with F. Fouad, Sullivan A., Goldman J., and Peters R.W., USDOT-FTA.
11. Impact of Transit Integration in a Complete Streets Context, USDOT-UTCA.
12. “Ride Safe”-Reducing Motorcycle Traffic Accidents and Resulting Injuries by Examining How Information on Safety and Health is shared in an Online Motorcycle Community, with S. Cotten and T. Hale, UAB Center for the Study of Community Health.
UAB School of Engineering