BEST (“Boosting Engineering, Science, and Technology”) Robotics, Inc.is a non-profit, volunteer-run national organization whose mission is to inspire students to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) through participation in a sports-like, science- and engineering-based robotics competition.
Blazer BEST Robotics is a BEST hub in Central Alabama and is sponsored by the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) School of Engineering. Our annual competition is held each fall and is open to middle and high school students in the Greater Birmingham, Jefferson County, and Shelby County areas.
Blazer BEST Facts:
- Volunteer-based organization sponsored by UAB.
- Schools participate at no cost—there is no fee.
- Any school may participate regardless of socioeconomic status, size, or location. Public, private, and home school groups or organizations (that is, no individual families) are welcome to participate.
- Within a 6-week period, each team will design, manufacture, test, and demonstrate (through competition) their unique robotic machine.
- Students are the primary participants and benefactors. Students perform all of the work; mentors serve as guides and advisors.
- UAB students and alumni, as well as engineers and other technical professionals from local industries and civic groups, serve as team mentors and volunteers.
As a result in participating in Blazer BEST, students:
- Understand the practical use of math concepts and applied physics.
- Solve real-world science and engineering problems, training that is transferable to all academic disciplines and career pursuits.
- Gain an increased interest in engineering, math, and science.
- Understand what engineers do—the engineering profession is "demystified."
- Become competent and confident in abstract thinking, teamwork, project management, decision-making, problem solving, and leadership.
- Have fun!
Kick Off - Thursday, September 12, 2013; 5:30 PM at Bartow Arena
2013 BEST Participating Schools
2013 GATEKEEPER Teaser