Blazer BEST is almost entirely staffed by volunteers, students, and alumni from UAB, civic groups, the community, and local industry. We gladly welcome all individuals and groups that want to be a part of this incredibly fun experience! As a volunteer, you will receive training and a t-shirt, we will feed you well, and most importantly you will get to be part of a high-energy, positive and rewarding experience. Here’s where we need volunteers:
Help a participating school’s robotics team through the six-week “design and construction” phase leading up to the competition itself (see below for more information). Anyone can be a Blazer BEST mentor—male or female, mom or dad, employed or retired, skilled with tools or not —it doesn’t matter! You just have to be willing to give of your time and energy. As a mentor, you will:
- Be paired with a local participating high school team.
- Guide a student team as they design, manufacture, test, and demonstrate (through competition) a robot.
- Work with students to help them understand engineering concepts, principles, and processes, while also promoting small group communication and organization skills.
- Encourage students to get interested in and excited about science, technology, and engineering.
- Follow mentor guidelines and time commitment.
Judge the numerous awards categories on “Game Day” (most categories are non-technical and all are fun to judge). There are a number of areas that need judging on competition day. Judging areas include:
- Marketing presentations
- Team exhibits and interviews
- Spirit and sportsmanship
- T-shirt design
- Project engineering notebooks
Help run the Game Day operation. Areas of help include:
- Game operations
BEST Volunteer Sign Up Form