Uddin, Nasim, Ph.D., P.E.
Civil, Construction, & Environmental Engineering
1075 13th Street South Birmingham, AL 35294-4440
PhD, Civil Engineering, SUNY at Buffalo, 1992
MS, Civil Engineering, University of Oklahoma, 1989
BS, Civil Engineering, University of Engineering & Technology, Bangladesh, 1986
CE 220-Mechanics of Solids
CE 360-Structural Analysis
CE 450-Structural Steel Design
CE 468/568-Wind and Seismic Load
CE 467/567-Bridge Engineering
CE 499-Senior Design Project
CE 650/750-Advanced Steel Structure
Professor Uddin’s research program focuses on fiber-reinforced polymer (FRP) composites for high performance infrastructure, natural hazard analyses and disaster risk reduction, and structural safety of bridge and building structure. Dr. Uddin is a leading researcher in the field of panelized construction and worked with the implementation of polymer composites for hazard resistant structures against earthquake, blast, flood and hurricane loading.
RECENT BOOK PUBLICATIONS (2010-2013)
1. Seismic Hazard Design Issues in the Central United States (ed. Uddin), (New York: ASCE, in press); ASCE Council for Disaster Risk Management (CDRM) Publication (2013).
2. Developments in Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) Composites for Civil Engineering (London: Woodhead Publishing, 2013), (ed. Uddin); ASCE Council for Disaster Risk Management (CDRM) Publication: ISBN 0 85709 234 0; May 2013; 560 pages 234 x 156mm hardback; £170.00 / US$290.00 / €205.00
3. Blast Protection of Infrastructures and Vehicles Using Composites (ed. Uddin), (London: Woodhead Publishing, 2010): ISBN 1 84569 399 X; ISBN-13: 978 1 84569 399 2 March 2010 448 pages.
4. Disaster Risk Assessment and Mitigation, (ed. Uddin with Ang), (New York:ASCE, 2008) ISBN 9 78078 4410127, December 2008 paperback, 110 pages.
5. Wind storm and Storm Surge Mitigation Construction (ed. Uddin), (New York: ASCE, 2010) ISBN 978-0-7844-1081-3, 2010, 164 pp.
6. Quantitative Risk Assessment for Natural Hazards (ed. Uddin with Ang), (New York: ASCE, 1020) SBN 978-078441153-7, June 2011, Paperback 88 pages.
SELECTED JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS 2010-2013 (*papers published with one or more of my graduate students):
1.*Zhao, H. and Uddin, N. (2013) "Identification of Vehicular Axle Weights with a BWIM System Considering Transverse Distribution of Wheel Loads"; ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, accepted for publication.
2. *Zhao, Z. and Uddin, N. (2013) “Determination of Dynamic Amplification Factors Using Site-Specific B-WIM Data” ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol. 19, No. 1, January 1, 2014.
3. *Zhao, Z. and Uddin, N. (2013) “Field Calibrated Simulation Model to Perform Bridge Safety Analyses against Extreme Events’, Journal of Engineering Structures, 56 (2013) 2253–2262.
4. *Ramos, L. and Uddin, N. (2013) “Benefits of Grooving on Vacuum Assisted Resin Transfer Molding (VARTM) FRP Wet-Out of RC Beams” ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction, Volume 17, Number 5, 636-641.
5. *Mousa. M. and Uddin, N. (2012) “Response of Hybrid Sandwich Structures under Low Velocity Impact (LVI)”; ACI Materials Journal (accepted for publication)
6. *Mousa, M. and Uddin, N. (2012) “Performance of Composite Structural Insulated Panels (CSIPs) after Exposure to Floodwater” ASCE Journal of Performance for Constructed facilities, Vol. 27, No. 4, August 2013.
7. Uddin, N. (2012) “Geotechnical Issues in the Creation of Underground Reservoirs for Massive Energy Storage”, IEEE Journal Special Issue: Addressing the intermittency challenge: Massive energy storage in a sustainable future", (invited paper); Vol. 100, No. 2, February 2012.
8. *Mousa. M. and Uddin, N. (2012) “Structural Behavior and Modeling of Full-Scale Composite Structural Insulated Wall Panels” Journal of Engineering Structures, Vol. 41, pp. 320–334.
9. *Mousa. M. and Uddin, N. (2011) “Flexural Behavior of Full-Scale Composite Structural Insulated Floor Panels” Journal of Advanced Composite Materials, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 547-567, 2011.
10. *Kalyankar, R. R., and Uddin, N. (2011) “Structural Characterization of Natural Fiber Reinforced Polymeric (NFRP) Laminates for Building Construction”, Journal of Polymers and the Environment, Volume 20, Issue 1, March 2012, P. 224-229
11. *Uddin, N. and Kalyankar. R. and (2011) “Manufacturing and Structural Feasibility of Natural Fiber Reinforced Polymeric Structural Insulated Panels (NSIPs) for Panelized Construction”, International Journal of Polymer Science, Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 963549, 7 pages; doi:10.1155/2011/963549
12. *Mousa. M. and Uddin, N. (2011) “Global Buckling of Composite Structural Insulated Wall Panels” Journal of Materials and Design, volume 32, issue 2, year 2011, pp. 766 - 772
13. *Kalyankar. R. and Uddin, N. (2010) “Structural Characterization of Natural Fiber Reinforced Polymeric Structural Insulated Panels (NSIPs) for Panelized Construction”, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, volume 30, issue 11, year 2011, pp. 988 – 994.
14. *Mousa, M. and Uddin, N. (2010) “Debonding of Composites Structural Insulated Sandwich Panels” Journal of reinforced plastics and composites, Vol. 29, No. 22, pp. 3380-3391.
15. *Vaidya, A., Uddin, N. and Vaidya, U. 2010. “Design and Analysis of Composite Structural Insulated Panels (CSIPs) for Exterior Wall Applications”, Journal of Composites for Construction, ASCE, 28(13):1587‐1600
16. *Vaidya, A., Uddin, N. and Vaidya, U. 2010. “Vibration Response of 3-D Space Accessible Sandwich Composite”, Journal of Reinforced Plastic and Composites (JRPC), 28(13):1587-1600
17. *Mousa, M., and Uddin, N. 2010. “ Experimental and Analytical Study of Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Polymer (FRP) /Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (AAC) Sandwich Panels”, ”, Journal of Engineering structures, 31 (10): 2337-2344
18. *Uddin, N, and Abro, A. M. 2010. “Manufacturing and Design of Low Cost Thermoplastic Composite Bridge Superstructure”, Journal of Engineering structures, 30 (5): 1386–1395.
RECENT RESEARCH PROJECTS AS PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR (PI):
National Science Foundation (NSF-CMMI-1100742) (2011-2015): Developing Bridge Weigh-in-Motion (B-WIM) Health Monitoring Systems for Bridge Infrastructure Safety (Internationally collaborative research project with matching funds from Ireland and UK national research agency)
National Science Foundation (NSF-CMMI-825938) (2008-2013): Structural Panels for Hazard Resistant Structure
National Science Foundation (NSF-CMS-533306) (2005-2010): Multifunctional Composite for Panelized Construction
National Science Foundation (NSF-IPW-0419893): International Workshop on Disaster Mitigation Construction
National Science Foundation (NSF-CMS-0229631) Novel FRP/Concrete Sandwich Panel for Panelized Construction
National Science Foundation (NSF - CMS-0634573): Research Experience for Undergraduates in Disaster Mitigation Construction
USDOT NCTSPM 2013-046: Bridge Rail Design Procedures
USDOT NCTSPM 2013‐010: Field Validation of a Drive‐By Bridge Inspection System with Wireless BWIM + NDE Devices
USDOT STRIDE 2012-0365: Consequence Based Route Selection for Hazardous Material Cargo
US DOT NCTSPM 2012-060: Impact and Feasibility Study of Solutions for Doubling Heavy Vehicles
US DOT NCTSPM 2012-007: Next-Generation Wireless Bridge Weigh-in-Motion (WIM) System Incorporated with Nondestructive Evaluation (NDE) Capability for Transportation Infrastructure Safety
US DOT: Multifunctional Composite Materials for CMV and Infrastructure Applications.
US DOT/UTCA: Use of Weigh-In-Motion (WIM) Data for Site-specific LRFR Bridge Rating
US DOT/UTCA: Design of Low Cost Thermoplastic Bridge Superstructure
NCC/USDOT/Washington, DC DOT: Anacostia River walk Trail Thermoplastic Composite Bridge Project
US DOT/UTCA: Bridge Weigh-in-Motion (B-WIM) System Testing and Evaluation (Co-PI)
Alabama DOT: Cost Effective VART Technology for Bridge Repair and Strengthening (Phase I, Phase II, Phase III).
Alabama DOT: Assessment of Long-time Behavior for Bridge Girders Retrofitted with Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) Using Accelerated-time Concepts
Alabama DOT: Demonstration of Cost-effective and durable FRP technology to repair/retrofit and to reduce vulnerability of the critical bridges
Alabama DOT: Vulnerability Reduction for Bridge Structures.
RESEARCH FUNDING (2008-2010)
“Developing Bridge Weigh-in-Motion (B-WIM) Health Monitoring Systems for Bridge Infrastructure Safety,” NSF, PI, 2011-2015
“Structural Panels for Natural Hazard Resistant Structures," NSF, PI, 10/08-10/11
"Multifunctional Composite for Panelized Construction," NSF, PI, 10/05-10/10
“International Research for Manufacturing and Design Feasibility of Jute Fibers in Composite Construction," PI, NSF, 10/06-12/08
“Catalyzing US-Bangladesh Collaboration to Advance Green Building Technologies for Windstorm and Storm Surge Mitigation,” Fulbright Scholarship, US Department of State, PI, 01/08-12/09
“Cost-Effective VARTM Technology for Repair and Strengthening-Phase III,” ALDOT, PI, 10/09-12/10
“Use of WIM Data for Site-specific LRFR Bridge Rating,” UTCA, PI, 01/10-12/10
Professional Service Chair: Executive Committee of ASCE Council for Disaster Risk Management (CDRM) ASCE Fellow Engineering Editor: ASCE Journal of Natural Hazards Review
Faculty Fulbright Scholar
Referee for Technical Articles
Community Service Board Member: Academy of Alabama (IAA) Co-faculty Advisor: UAB Student Association (MSA)