To be considered for the Fifth Year Master’s program in BME, a student typically must:
- Be enrolled in either the BME or the Science & Technology Honors program
- Have junior level standing (completed more than 60 hours of college coursework)
- Have completed at least 3 junior level required BME courses
- Have an overall UAB GPA greater than 3.50
- Have completed at least two semesters of undergraduate research
- Submit an application with a personal statement and three letters of recommendation, at least one of which comes from the undergraduate research advisor
- Have identified a thesis advisor and research topic for the MS research
Applications should be submitted on-line through ApplyYourself UAB'S web based Graduate application process. (Applications will be evaluated by the BME Graduate Program Committee).
- The student is not required to submit a GRE score for admission to a Fifth Year Master’s program, but each student is required to take the GRE and submit their scores prior to receiving the Master’s Degree.
- Students in the Fifth Year Master’s program can take graduate courses while completing their undergraduate degree, with the permission of the course instructor. Graduate coursework can be counted towards the Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, but not both. Typically the graduate credits are used to satisfy the Master’s degree requirements.
- Each MS thesis committee must have at least one member who is a primary BME faculty member.
- Students in the Fifth Year Master's program are subject to the same coursework, seminar, publication, quality requirements as other BME Plan I MS students.
- A fifth year MS students is admitted to the BME PhD program the same way as other BME MS students (complete all MS requirements and with support of MS thesis committee).
- Fifth year MS students are not automatically eligible for funding or a tuition waiver during the fifth year . However, at the discretion of the research advisor and with the approval of the Graduate Program Director, the research advisor may provide a stipend from a research grant, contract or other non-departmental funds consistent with current BME and institute policies and practices.
- This timeline provides additional information about the timing of coursework and research.
- See the BME Graduate Program website for additional details.