UAB Recycling Program
UAB is committed to continuously reducing campus waste and increasing recycling on our campus. The recycling center was established in 2009 to expand the capabilities and scope of the Facilities division recycling program. This is a free service provided to most campus locations and is a key component of our overall sustainability efforts.
There are many benefits of the recycling program for our campus, the community and the environment:
- Aluminum cans made from recycled aluminum uses 95% less energy than the same process using raw materials.
- Recycled paper uses 30% to 55% less energy than making paper from trees.
Natural Resource ConservationRecycling 1 ton of paper saves:
- 17 trees, 275 pounds of sulfur
- 350 pounds of limestone
- 60,000 gallons of water
- 225 kilowatt hours of energy
- 3.3 cubic yards of landfill space
- Pressure on forests reduced
- Air pollution is significantly lowered
- Landfill volumes are greatly reduced
The Recycling Center offers a drive thru drop-off service on Mondays from 6:30-8:30am and 4:00-6:00pm. (If the campus is closed on Monday, it will be open the following UAB business day.) This free service is available to the entire UAB community to recycle materials from home. UAB Recycling currently provides all participating UAB buildings with recycling containers and empties the containers at our recycling center.
UAB Recycling also accepts materials at the Drop-Off Center that are not collected campus-wide. For more information, see the "What we recycle" page.
For information about recycling at UAB contact Jon Paolone, UAB’s Recycling Coordinator, at 205-996-9043 or email at email@example.com