The department was formed in April of 1982 to manage utility costs while providing a comfortable environment for our customers.
To effectively manage energy use on the campus and in the hospital, while providing a quality environment at the lowest possible cost.
To contribute to the financial stability of the University through technical support, management, and training focused on prudent and efficient uses of our natural and energy resources.
- Research and select the most effective energy solutions (i.e. replace incandescent lamps with compact fluorescent lamps)
- Enter utility usage and costs into the Energy CAP accounting system to ensure data accuracy and provide reconciliation against other accounting systems
- Maintain a state of the art metering system connected to a central computer for billing of chilled water and UAB-made steam
- Energy conservation training for our customers
- Maintain up to date energy related standards, such as lighting and HVAC controls
- Serve as the primary coordinator between UAB and all utility companies
Help UAB Cut Energy Costs
- Set the thermostat to 75°
- Raise the thermostat setting at night
- Wear loose fitting clothing
- Turn window blinds to allow light, but block direct rays from the sun
- Turn off computers, printers, lights, etc., when not in use.
- Besides using power, these devices also generate heat
- Set the thermostat to 70°
- Wear layered clothing
- Open window blinds to allow direct sunlight
- Keep windows and doors closed