Departments at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) often have a need to rehire faculty retirees as 04 Irregular employees to serve in various teaching, clinical, research, and mentoring roles. This must be done in accordance with the standards set forth in the university's Policy Concerning the Re-Employment of UAB Retirees.
Following are guidelines required to rehire faculty retirees:
- Submit a request to rehire a retiree to the Provost (sample request); prior to submitting an ACT document.
- Process appointment to 04 Irregular Faculty status once department has received Provost Office approval; to include the following items:
The hiring process for UAB Faculty Retirees must adhere to the current standard process for hiring 04 Irregular employees.
Request to Rehire Faculty Retiree
The following elements must be included in the Request to Rehire Faculty Retirees:
- Statement or description of work to be performed.
- Statement or description of circumstances justifying employment of faculty retiree.
- Date of retirement from UAB.
- Compensation to be paid to faculty retiree; including frequency (i.e. $1800 per month). The request must state confirmation that compensation will not exceed TRS earning limits that are applicable at the time of the request.
- Confirmation that faculty retiree has received counseling regarding the potential loss of retirement benefits if the total amount earned exceeds applicable maximums set by TRS.
- Additional details that offer explanation about the need and plan to hire the faculty retiree.
- Approval signatures from chair, dean, and Provost; indicating the approval date for each.