Following are guidelines required to rehire faculty retirees:
- Submit a request to rehire a retiree to the Provost (sample request); prior to submitting an ACT document.
- Process appointment to 04 Irregular Faculty status once department has received Provost Office approval; to include the following items:
Request to Rehire Faculty Retiree
The following elements must be included in the Request to Rehire Faculty Retirees:
- Statement or description of work to be performed.
- Statement or description of circumstances justifying employment of faculty retiree.
- Date of retirement from UAB.
- Compensation to be paid to faculty retiree; including frequency (i.e. $1800 per month). The request must state confirmation that compensation will not exceed TRS earning limits that are applicable at the time of the request.
- Confirmation that faculty retiree has received counseling regarding the potential loss of retirement benefits if the total amount earned exceeds applicable maximums set by TRS.
- Additional details that offer explanation about the need and plan to hire the faculty retiree.
- Approval signatures from chair, dean, and Provost; indicating the approval date for each.