- Faculty Recruitment Requests are initiated at the department level; using the Requisition Form in UAB PeopleAdmin.
- Recruitment Requests are routed, reviewed and approved electronically (in UAB PeopleAdmin) at the department, Dean, Equity Advisor (formerly Affirmative Action Officer), Faculty Affairs, Sr. Vice Provost, and Provost levels. All faculty recruitment advertisements must be approved by the Provost, Dean (or designee), Equity Advisor, and department before being published.
- When the Search Chair/Hiring Manager receives final approval by email from UAB PeopleAdmin, departments will place faculty recruitment advertisements in their chosen publications and media sources (including print and online media). See Recruitment Resources for additional resources for faculty recruitment advertisements.
- In the meantime, all faculty position advertisements are posted live to UAB Faculty Jobs once the recruitment requisition is fully approved in UAB PeopleAdmin. Note: Search Chair/Hiring Manager receives an email confirmation from UAB PeopleAdmin when the approval is complete.
- Recruitment advertisements posted to UAB Faculty Jobs are automatically posted to an online source – HigherEdJobs.com on a daily basis. Note: This process and service was implemented in January 2012, and the service is currently provided by the Office of the Provost at no cost to schools and departments.
- The Equity Advisor must review and approve all faculty recruitment requests and advertisements. List of the university’s Equity Advisors (formerly Affirmative Action Officers) and search committee resources.
- Please refer to the Faculty Handbook for additional faculty recruitment information.
General guidelines for faculty recruitment advertisements.
Faculty Recruitment Request and Approval Process
How to request approval to post a faculty advertisement.
Advertisement Content Requirements
Essential content elements for a faculty recruitment advertisement.
Process for Closing a Faculty Recruitment Advertisement
How to close and remove a faculty recruitment advertisement.
Department of Labor Requirements for Labor Certifications
Requirements for faculty advertisements that are posted on the web.
Advertising Templates and Sample Ad Copy
Faculty recruitment advertisements samples and templates.
Faculty Recruitment Resources
Resources to assist with advertisement pricing, development, and placement.
Faculty Recruitment Advertisement FAQs
Common questions about faculty recruitment advertisements, and their answers.
Faculty Data Form
Record of faculty appointments, changes in promotion and tenure, and more.
Faculty Recruitment: Initial Phase of the Process
Details of the process from school approval to posting the position.
Faculty Recruitment Request Extensions
How to extend a faculty recruitment request beyond two years.
Faculty Recruitment Resource - HigherEdJobs.com
An additional faculty recruitment resource.
Faculty Appointment Letter Templates
Standard guidelines and practices for creating faculty and credentialed course instructor appointment/hire letters.
Appointment Action Summary Form
Required only if appointment to full-time regular faculty at Associate Professor with Tenure/Professor
Voluntary Affirmative Action Self-Identification Survey Program
For Faculty Applicants/Candidates
Recruitment & Hiring
- Receive approval from Dean to initiate faculty search.
- Submit Faculty Recruitment Request in UAB PeopleAdmin.
- Postion posted Faculty Jobs site and HEJ.
- Place recruitment advertisement in journals, publications, media sources, etc. for minimum of 30 days.
- Candidates apply to UAB PeopleAdmin
- Faculty Search Committee will review, evaluate, and interview candidates.
- Finalist candidate selection is made.
- Hiring propsal is initiated in UAB PeopleAdmin; routed for approval.
- Offer is extended to candidate.
- Obtain signed Offer Letter from candidate.
- Complete Form I-9.
- Complete Oracle ACT Document.
- Complete UAB Faculty Data Form.
- Obtain candidate's official transcript(s).
- Initiate Background Check Process
- Credentialing (if applicable)
- Obtain/verify professional/board licensure (if applicable).
- One Card (PreHire)
- School/College/UAB Libraries Onboarding and Orientation processes to be completed
- Provost Office Onboarding
- Incoming Faculty Access to IRAP and LMS Access
- Research Onboarding
- UAB HR New Employee Orientation and Onboarding Checklist
- Department-specific Onboarding
- Center for Teaching & Learning