- In consultation with the dean, the department chair receives authorization to initiate the search process. Departments must follow specific college, school, UAB Libraries and departmental procedures for securing approval to initiate a faculty search. Also, review the role of the Equity Advisor (formerly the Affirmative Action Officer). Click here: http://www.uab.edu/dei/constituent-groups/equity-leadership-council.
- Department submits the faculty recruitment requisition in the UAB PeopleAdmin (UAB Faculty Jobs) System (www.uab.edu/facultyjobs/admin) or, the system can be accessed from within the UAB Admin Systems portal.
- Once the requisition is fully approved in the UAB Faculty Jobs system (Provost is last step in approval process), the faculty position is automatically posted to the UAB Faculty Jobs Web site (www.uab.edu/facultyjobs); and is accessible to candidates within minutes.
- Confirmation that the faculty recruitment requisition has been fully approved and posted is sent to the original requestor by system-generated email email@example.com).
- The hiring department places the faculty recruitment advertisements with specific journals, publications and other media. Departments are encouraged to work with Graystone Recruitment Advertising to fulfill this step. Note: Graystone is integrated into the UAB PeopleAdmin (UAB Faculty Jobs) System. Please indicate your intention to work with Graystone on the position requisition; so that they receive notification to contact the Search Chair/Hiring Manager.
- The position announcement (advertisement) remains posted (active) until which time a final candidate has been selected (after a minimum of 30 days posted); or the search is cancelled. However, departments may choose a “close date” for their posting at the time the requisition is created. Ex: To post a faculty position for 30 days beginning March 1; the close date would be March 30.
Additionally, faculty search committees may choose to close a position advertisement/requisition to applicants once it has been determined that a sufficient number of qualified applicants have applied; provided that the position has been posted for a minimum of 30 days.
UAB Faculty Handbook: 2.12 Initial Appointments of Faculty
For all full-time regular tenured or full-time regular tenure-earning positions, recruitment at the national level is required. For all full-time or part-time regular non-tenure-earning positions, recruitment at the national level is required unless otherwise justified and approved by the dean and Provost. All appointments must be made in accordance with UAB hiring practices and government regulations, and following acceptance by the candidate of the initial offer of appointment must be approved by the President.
Further – University of Alabama at Birmingham Faculty Recruitment requires that position advertisements run for 30 days in two national publications or two times in one national publication.
- Candidates apply at uab.edu/facultyjobs
- The Faculty Search committee will review and evaluate candidates; conduct interviews, campus visits, and candidate presentations, etc.
- Appropriate college, school and UAB Libraries policies, consistent with the UAB Faculty Handbook, should be implemented to review candidates. Some schools have a standing committee for this purpose, while others appoint a search committee for each search. Using the appropriate College, School, and UAB Libraries policies and processes, the Faculty Search Committee selects the final candidate(s) who will receive an employment offer.
- Search Committee Chair or Search Chair/Hiring Manager will move final candidate to Recommend for Hire in UAB PeopleAdmin (UAB Faculty Jobs); then,
- The Search Chair/Hiring Manager (or department administrator) initiates the HIRING PROPOSAL, using the following Hiring Proposal Process.
- If candidate accepts offer –
- Move candidate to “Offer Accepted” in UAB PeopleAdmin (UAB Faculty Jobs; then
- Proceed with Appointment Phase (ACT Document, Faculty Data Form, Background Check, etc.)
- Disposition all active candidates.
- Search Chair/Hiring Manager alerts Faculty Affairs to move requisition to Filled. Leave open if other positions will be filled from this same recruitment requisition.
- If candidate declines offer –
- Access the Hiring Proposal and Mark the candidate as Declined Offer, and enter the appropriate reason code.
- The Recruitment Requisition can remain open if other candidates from this candidate pool will be considered for other positions on this requisition. Otherwise, this becomes a “failed search” and, the
- Search should be cancelled. The requisition should be closed and marked as FAILED SEARCH.
- Be sure that all applicants have been dispositioned—moved to a final step in UAB PeopleAdmin (UAB Faculty Jobs). For example, all candidates who were not considered for the position; should be moved to NOT INTERVIEWED, NOT HIRED.
- If candidate accepts offer –
Return to Faculty Recruitment Advertising Overview