Faculty Recruitment: Initial Phase of the Process
The following steps comprise the faculty recruitment process for UAB:
- In consultation with the dean, the department chair receives authorization to initiate the search process. Departments must follow specific school, department, college procedures for securing approval to initiate a faculty search. Also, review the role of the Affirmative Action Officer.
- Department submits Faculty Recruitment Request, electronically via http://www.uab.edu/uabforms, along with the proposed ad copy to be approved at the department, dean, and provost levels;
- Approval confirmation is sent to the department requestor by email;
- Ad(s) are placed in specific journals, publications and other media; Departments are encouraged to work with Graystone Recruitment Advertisement to fulfill this step;
- Vice Provost for Student & Faculty Success (Faculty Affairs) posts ad to BrassRing (university’s jobs listing site);
- Confirmation of posting to BrassRing is sent to requestor by email;
- Position is posted the following day to HigherEdJobs.com;
- Hiring department places the faculty recruitment ad to specific media sources.
- Appropriate college and school policies, consistent with the UAB Faculty Handbook, should be implemented to review candidates. Some schools have a standing committee for this purpose, while others appoint a search committee for each search. Using the appropriate College and School policies, the final candidate is selected.
- Position announcement (advertisement) remains posted (active) until which time a final candidate has been selected; or the search is cancelled.
Return to Faculty Recruitment Advertising Overview