- How do I know when it is acceptable for me to place my ad with a publication?
The FRR requestor receives an email notification when the FRR has been completely approved. At this point, you can place your ad with a media source/publication. Additionally, Faculty Affairs sends an email notification to let you know when your advertisement has been posted to the UAB Faculty Jobs site / HigherEdJobs.com.
- Does UAB offer external resources for faculty recruitment advertisements?
Yes. The University of Alabama at Birmingham has partnered with Graystone Group Advertising and HigherEdJobs.com to offer our departments and units additional resources for faculty recruitment advertisement placements.
- How can I get a faculty position posted to the UAB Employment Web site?
All faculty positions are posted to the UAB Careers page and HigherEdJobs.com by the Faculty Affairs Office. Postings are listed to the site as soon as the Faculty Recruitment Request is fully approved.
- How can I get assistance creating a faculty recruitment ad?
UAB offers faculty recruitment advertisement templates and; Graystone Group Advertising can offer one-on-one assistance to create ad copy and layout that will meet the UAB Branding Standards.
- When might I not need to advertise a faculty position?
02- Full-time temporary, 04- Irregular, and 60-Volunteer faculty positions do not requirement advertisement. However, some departments may choose to advertise for full-time temporary (especially visiting) faculty positions.
- What if I am searching for multiple faculty candidates/filling multiple faculty positions?
If you are searching for multiple faculty positions, one advertisement is sufficient for all, provided that all of the “required elements” are included in the ad. And, the ad must specific that multiple positions are open for recruitment. A separate FRR must be submitted and approved for each position.
- How do I know that my faculty advertisement is in compliance?
A faculty recruitment advertisement meets compliance standards, if:
- It has been reviewed and approved by the Affirmative Action Officer;
- It was placed in two national publications that have a broad circulation (or one publication for two runs);
- It the advertisement has been placed for a minimum of 30 days;
- If it contains the university’s approved affirmative action/diversity and inclusion statement -- UAB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable and family-friendly environment in which all faculty and staff can excel and achieve work/life balance irrespective of ethnicity, gender, faith, gender identity and expression as well as sexual orientation. UAB also encourages applications from individuals with disabilities and veterans.
- Where can I find sample faculty recruitment advertisements?
Here are some sample faculty recruitment advertisements. The sample advertisements meet the required UAB style, branding, and content guidelines.
- What if I am using a search firm to handle the recruitment of faculty position?
UAB departments often utilize the services of a recruitment search firm (i.e. Quick, Leonard & Kieffer; Greenwood & Associates) to manage their faculty recruitment process. This practice is acceptable by the university. However, all university, federal and state guidelines must be adhered to just the same as if the search is managed internally.
The Faculty Recruitment and Advertisement Guide aims to help departments effectively manage and organize faculty recruitment activities and advertisements to ensure that all required procedures and policies are adhered to throughout the faculty recruitment, selection, and hiring/appointment process.
General guidelines for faculty recruitment advertisements.
Advertisement Request and Approval Process
How to request approval to post a faculty advertisement.
Advertisement Content Requirements
Essential content elements for a faculty recruitment advertisement.
Process for Closing a Faculty Recruitment Advertisement
How to close and remove a faculty recruitment advertisement.
Department of Labor Requirements for Labor Certifications
Requirements for faculty advertisements that are posted on the web.
Faculty Data Form
Record of faculty appointments, changes in promotion and tenure, and more.
Advertising Templates and Samples
Faculty recruitment advertisements samples and templates.
Faculty Recruitment Resources
Resources to assist with advertisement pricing, development, and placement.
Faculty Recruitment Advertisement FAQs
Common questions about faculty recruitment advertisements, and their answers.
Faculty Recruitment: Initial Phase of the Process
Details of the process from school approval to posting the position.
Faculty Recruitment Request Extensions
How to extend a faculty recruitment request beyond two years.
Faculty Recruitment Resource - HigherEdJobs.com
An additional faculty recruitment resource.
Faculty Appointment Letter Templates
Standard guidelines and practices for creating faculty and credentialed course instructor appointment/hire letters.
Appointment Action Summary Form
Required only if appointment to full-time regular faculty at Associate Professor with Tenure/Professor
Voluntary Affirmative Action Self-Identification Survey Program
For Faculty Applicants/Candidates
Pre-Hire ONE Card Form
Allows new faculty to obtain their BlazerID and ONE Card (ID badge/access card) on or prior to their first day of employment.
Early Access for IRAP and LMS
Outlines the process to allow departments and divisions to sponsor incoming faculty access to IRAP and the LMS before their ORACLE appointments are active.
New Faculty Hire Background Check
A pre-employment background investigation is performed on individuals in the final stages of recruitment to UAB.