How do I know when it is acceptable for me to place my ad with a publication?The Faculty Recruitment Requisition initiator (i.e. Search Chair/Hiring Manager Role in UAB PeopleAdmin) receives an email notification when the Faculty Recruitment Requisition has been fully approved.At this point, you can place your ad with a media source/publication. Additionally, this is your confirmation that the posting is live at UAB Faculty Jobs.
Does UAB offer external resources for faculty recruitment advertisements?Yes. The University of Alabama at Birmingham has partnered with Graystone Group Advertising and HigherEdJobs.com to offer our departments and units additional resources for faculty recruitment advertisement placements. See guidelines here.
How can I get a faculty position posted to the UAB Human Resources Careers Web site?All faculty positions are posted to UAB Faculty Jobs once the Faculty Recruitment Request has been fully approved.
How can I get assistance creating a faculty recruitment ad?UAB offers faculty recruitment advertisement templates and; Graystone Group Advertising can offer one-on-one assistance to create advertisement copy and layout that will meet university’s faculty advertisements requirements and UAB Branding Standards.
When might I not need to advertise a faculty position?02- Full-time temporary, 04- Irregular, and 60-Volunteer faculty positions do not require advertisement. However, some departments may choose to advertise for full-time temporary (especially visiting) faculty positions.
What if I am searching for multiple faculty candidates/filling multiple faculty positions?If you are searching for multiple faculty positions, one advertisement is sufficient for all, provided that all of the “required elements” are included in the ad. And, the ad must specific that multiple positions are open for recruitment. You can indicate in the UAB PeopleAdmin Requisition the number of positions that you are recruiting for. Faculty Affairs team will work with departments to manage this process.
How do I know that my faculty advertisement is in compliance?A faculty recruitment advertisement meets compliance standards, if:
- It has been reviewed and approved by the Equity Advisor (formerly Affirmative Action Officer);
- It was placed in two national publications that have a broad circulation (or one publication for two runs);
- The advertisement has been placed for a minimum of 30 days;
- It contains the university’s approved affirmative action/diversity and inclusion statement – UAB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable and family-friendly environment in which all faculty and staff can excel and achieve work/life balance irrespective of ethnicity, gender, faith, gender identity and expression as well as sexual orientation. UAB also encourages applications from individuals with disabilities and veterans.
Where can I find sample faculty recruitment advertisements?Here are some sample faculty recruitment advertisements. The sample advertisements meet the required UAB style, branding, and content guidelines.
What if I am using a search firm to handle the recruitment of a faculty position?UAB departments often utilize the services of a recruitment search firm (i.e. Quick, Leonard & Kieffer; Greenwood & Associates; Russell Reynolds Associates, etc.) to manage their faculty recruitment process. This practice is acceptable by the university. However, all university, federal and state guidelines must be adhered to just the same as if the search is managed internally.
General guidelines for faculty recruitment advertisements.
Faculty Recruitment Request and Approval Process
How to request approval to post a faculty advertisement.
Advertisement Content Requirements
Essential content elements for a faculty recruitment advertisement.
Process for Closing a Faculty Recruitment Advertisement
How to close and remove a faculty recruitment advertisement.
Department of Labor Requirements for Labor Certifications
Requirements for faculty advertisements that are posted on the web.
Advertising Templates and Sample Ad Copy
Faculty recruitment advertisements samples and templates.
Faculty Recruitment Resources
Resources to assist with advertisement pricing, development, and placement.
Faculty Recruitment Advertisement FAQs
Common questions about faculty recruitment advertisements, and their answers.
Faculty Data Form
Record of faculty appointments, changes in promotion and tenure, and more.
Faculty Recruitment: Initial Phase of the Process
Details of the process from school approval to posting the position.
Faculty Recruitment Request Extensions
How to extend a faculty recruitment request beyond two years.
Faculty Recruitment Resource - HigherEdJobs.com
An additional faculty recruitment resource.
Faculty Appointment Letter Templates
Standard guidelines and practices for creating faculty and credentialed course instructor appointment/hire letters.
Appointment Action Summary Form
Required only if appointment to full-time regular faculty at Associate Professor with Tenure/Professor
Voluntary Affirmative Action Self-Identification Survey Program
For Faculty Applicants/Candidates
Recruitment & Hiring
- Receive approval from Dean to initiate faculty search.
- Submit Faculty Recruitment Request in UAB PeopleAdmin.
- Postion posted Faculty Jobs site and HEJ.
- Place recruitment advertisement in journals, publications, media sources, etc. for minimum of 30 days.
- Candidates apply to UAB PeopleAdmin
- Faculty Search Committee will review, evaluate, and interview candidates.
- Finalist candidate selection is made.
- Hiring propsal is initiated in UAB PeopleAdmin; routed for approval.
- Offer is extended to candidate.
- Obtain signed Offer Letter from candidate.
- Complete Form I-9.
- Complete Oracle ACT Document.
- Complete UAB Faculty Data Form.
- Obtain candidate's official transcript(s).
- Initiate Background Check Process
- Credentialing (if applicable)
- Obtain/verify professional/board licensure (if applicable).
- One Card (PreHire)
- School/College/UAB Libraries Onboarding and Orientation processes to be completed
- Provost Office Onboarding
- Incoming Faculty Access to IRAP and LMS Access
- Research Onboarding
- UAB HR New Employee Orientation and Onboarding Checklist
- Department-specific Onboarding
- Center for Teaching & Learning