The Office of the Provost has implemented a series of Faculty Appointment Letter Templates as a resource for the hiring units within the College of Arts & Sciences, the academic schools and the health schools (School of Medicine pending). The Faculty Appointment Templates offers the university the ability to follow standard guidelines and practices for creating faculty appointment/hire letters. Additionally, other faculty appointment template letters are included on this web page; including templates for Credentialed Course Instructors, Center Appointments, Faculty Renewal and Non-Reappointment Letters.
Faculty Appointment Templates (for Full-time Regular Faculty) consist of three parts: Offer Letter, Attachment A—General Terms and Conditions of Faculty Appointment, and Attachment B – Specific Terms and Conditions of Faculty Appointment. Attachment A contains general content that is applicable to all faculty hires; Attachment B contains language and content that is specific and unique to each faculty appointment. For Attachment B, please include only the information and details that are relevant to the specific faculty hire in your unit.
Please select from the following faculty appointment letter templates for initial faculty hires and other faculty appointments:
- Tenure-Track Faculty, Full-time Regular, College and Academic Schools
- Tenure-Track Faculty, Full-time Regular, Health Schools (not including Medicine)
- Professor with Tenure / Associate Professor with Tenure, Full-Time Regular, College and Academic Schools
- Professor with Tenure / Associate Professor with Tenure, Full-Time Regular, Health Schools
- Non-Tenure-Track Faculty, Full-time Regular, College and Academic Schools
- Non-Tenure-Track Faculty, Full-time Regular, Health Schools (not including Medicine)
- Non-Tenure-Track Faculty, Full-Time Temporary, College and Academic Schools
- Non-Tenure-Track Faculty, Full-Time Temporary, Health Schools
- Credentialed Course Instructor Offer Letter Template (irregular appointment)
- Center Appointment Offer Letter Template
- Irregular Faculty Appointment Offer Letter
- Secondary Appointment Offer Letter Template
- Voluntary Faculty Offer Letter Template
Other faculty appointment templates:
A faculty appointment letter/offer letter is required for processing a Phase I (or Hiring Proposal for PeopleAdmin Users). Additionally, a faculty appointment letter is required for all other faculty appointments (i.e. Secondary Appointments, Voluntary Faculty, and Credentialed Course Instructors).
For other faculty personnel transactions not included in this list of templates, please continue to use letters or memoranda that you currently use to support and document these transactions. If you have questions about how to use any of the appointment letter templates offered on this page, please contact the Faculty Affairs Office at 205-934-0513.
Note: This resource will be updated soon to reflect the implementation of UAB Faculty Jobs (UAB PeopleAdmin) – the university’s online faculty recruitment and hiring system.