Minutes Senate Executive Committee Meeting
Senate Office Conference Room
for September 4 FSEC and September 9 Senate Meeting
1. Agenda for August 25 Executive Committee meeting
· Senate representative to Athletics Committee
· Senate representative to CAA
· Senate representative to UAB Emergency Planning Committee
· Introduction of new senators and alternates
Based on discussion and concern for athletics to be on the agenda of the senate for consecutive meetings, a recommendation will be made to Chair Smith that President Garrison will be asked to discuss fall enrollment and do an update on academic programs. The topic of athletics should be delayed until the November meeting and focus on basketball. This recommendation will be presented to Chair Smith so that he can interact with President Garrison.
i. Finance Committee – Senator Linda Reed
ii. FPPC – Past-Chair Tim Heaven
1. Policy Review Guidelines - Revision
2. James Lowery – policy review path and the role of the Senate in policy review
iii. Standing Committee bylaws – review functions – Secretary
i. Sterne Library –
Stephanie Belcher will communicate with these academic units to obtain
the name of the presenting senator.
i. Next Senate Meeting – October 14 – HUC A&B;
ii. Academic Unit Reports: Public Health; SBS; JHS; Arts &Hum
July Senate and the August FSEC meetings: teaching loads, schedule of
classes and evaluation of administrators.
1. Teaching loads – Senate will request Provost to share data that is currently being collected and there will be no further Senate action until this data/information is available to Senate.
2. Schedule of classes – possible schedules were discussed but for every model there appears to be constraints. The Senate will request information from Rose Scripa about current usage of rooms and information from the Recruitment and Retention Committee.
3. Evaluation of administrators – the proposed activities for the Faculty Affairs Committee was reviewed and various issues and concerns about the type of evaluations and the follow up use of the feedback were discussed. This topic will be re-evaluated by the Executive Committee along with the work of the Faculty Affairs Committee.
Note: These items will not be placed on the proposed agenda for September 4.
i. Curriculum and Research Committee
1. Academic Computing
2. Advisory Council – Graduate Council
3. Athletic Advisory Committee
4. Campus Planning
5. Extramural Scholarships
6. Graduate Council
· Finance Committee
1. Campus Planning
2. Compensation Advisory Committee
3. Fringe Benefits
4. UAB President’s Council
5. UAB Leadership Council
6. University Scholarship Committee
· Faculty Affairs Committee
1. Termination for Cause Review Panel
2. Grievance Panel
3. President and Provost Reports (Section II.7.b)
This item will be placed on the proposed agenda for September 4.
d. Senate Bylaws indicate that Senate recommendations be submitted to
President. Need to clarify current protocol. This item will be placed on
the proposed agenda.
e. How can the Senate assist President and Provost as to types of
information and review actions by standing committees? This item will
be on the agenda and Chair Smith will be asked to discuss this item at
the FSEC. This item will be on the proposed agenda.
f. Provost - status report on the grievance activities during the 2002-2003
year and the projected timeline for Provost and President review of the
FPPC and Senate approved proposed revisions to Section 2, and
Appendices A, B and C.
g. Provost - status of Senate recommendations – (1) open access to faculty
handbook for external to UAB; (2) Review of Sick Leave Policy
The general consensus is that item # 1 is currently in effect. For item # 2
Ted Benditt will contact Susan McWilliams to determine the status of
the Senate recommendation.
h. Academic Unit reports from August Senate meeting
Chair-elect Benditt reviewed the academic unit reports from the
Senate’s August 12 meeting. The topics that will be submitted on the
proposed agenda for September 4 include: (1) plans to address the level
of adjunct faculty; (2) library funding and the concerns related to one-
time versus continuing funding practices; (3) salary inequities and
follow up action of the previous Senate Ad Hoc Committee report on
i. Status of STEPS – will be on proposed agenda for September 4.
j. Provost status report on the Provost plans to implement standardized dean evaluation process. Item will be on proposed agenda.
G. Other items discussed by Executive Committee
1.Standing Committees – Bylaws – Secretary review roles and responsibilities –
materials distributed to Chairs; reminder about reports, minutes and files. The
bylaws section for the standing committees will be distributed at the September 9
2. Academic Units second phase of presentations – identification of specific
questions - suggestions
a. Status of unit handbook – last revision; date approved – dean/provost;
b. Does unit have a Faculty Affairs Committee?
c. What is the role of the Faculty Affairs Committee?
d. Types of teaching evaluation forms used – process; who approves forms and
how are forms used?
e. Types of evaluation process used as basis of salary decisions
f. Do departments have departmental policies as indicated in the UAB handbook?
g. Do faculty have access to unit handbook and departmental policies?
h. Does your academic unit have a personnel officer?
i. Do faculty in the academic units want to have a role in the evaluation of top-level administrators, deans, department chairs?
No decisions were made about these questions or the process for the second phase
of the academic unit reports to the Senate. This topic will need to be discussed at
the next executive committee meeting because the second phase of unit reports
starts with the October Senate meeting.
3. Academic Unit reports from August 12 – identify items for discussion with
President and Provost, or identify items to be referred to Senate Standing
Committees. This was discussed with the FSEC agenda preparation.
4. Governance & Operations Committee – referral – review constitution and bylaws
and meet with Secretary for Elections Committee planning session. Chair
Mulvihill and Secretary Greenup will meet to discuss plans for Governance &
5. Curriculum & Research – the following question – “full tuition for prior credit
or credit by exam or portfolio evaluation and tuition requirements” will be
referred to this standing committee.
6. Faculty Affairs Committee – timeline for administrator evaluation – pilot project
with Deans during fall term; annual evaluations process in academic units. These
items will be referred to the FAC and Chair Telfair will distribute FAC reports
about the plans for administrator evaluations. FAC will interact with Tim Heaven
to obtain the findings of the survey on annual evaluation practices in the academic
units. This topic will be addressed by the FAC.
The meeting adjourned at 1:30 pm. Minutes prepared by
Secretary of Senate, Pat Greenup –