IRB - INSTITUTION REVIEW BOARD FOR HUMAN USE
Initial IRB Training
You need UAB IRB training if you are an employee or student at UAB or TCHA and you
- are listed as an Investigator or "key personnel" (i.e., engaged in the design, conduct, analysis, or reporting of research) on the IRB protocol or funding application; or
- screen potential participants and/or obtain informed consent; or
- have IRB-related responsibilities.
You need UAB IRB training if you are not affiliated with UAB or TCHA and you
- work at another institution that has an IRB Authorization Agreement whereby the UAB IRB is the "IRB of record"; or
- work at another institution and hold an Individual Investigator Agreement whereby the UAB IRB is your "IRB of record."
You do not need UAB IRB training if you
- are not affiliated with UAB or TCHA in any way (e.g., student, employee, consultant); and
- work at another institution that has its own IRB.
In these cases, you should have your research work reviewed by your IRB.
Any one (1) of the options listed below can be used to fulfill the 4-credit requirement for initial IRB training.
Click the course names for descriptions and instructions:
• CITI Online: CITI Basic—Biomedical or Behavioral—Course in Human Research Protections, University of Miami
• NIH Online: Protecting Human Research Participants, National Institutes of Health
• UAB Online: Investigator 101 WebCT Course—Initial (requires BlazerID and RealPlayer)
• UAB Course: GRD 717: Principles of Scientific Integrity
• Research Coordinator Training Program: Six-session course offered twice each year
• For New UAB Researchers: Human Subjects Protection Training, from your previous institution
• For Non-UAB International Researchers and Staff: FHI , Family Health International
Mail or deliver all IRB materials and correspondence to
Room 470, Administration Building (AB)
701 20th Street South, Birmingham, AL 35294-0104
Phone 205-934-3789 — Fax 205-934-1301