UAB faculty conduct more than $500 million in extramural research and pursue groundbreaking research among disciplines, with schools and departments sharing resources, labs and knowledge to produce an intensely collaborative, interdisciplinary culture.
Explore this comprehensive list of more than 350 UAB Graduate Biomedical Sciences Faculty who offer graduate research training in highly diverse areas of the biomedical sciences.
Core facilities provide cutting-edge instruments, resources and technologies to investigators and trainees across the entire UAB research enterprise.
UAB alliances with Southern Research, focusing on drug discovery, and HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology, a global expert in genomics, create new therapies and novel training opportunities.
UAB leads some of the nation’s most prestigious centers and excels at translating medical discoveries in the lab to revolutionary therapies at the bedside and in clinics:
- Among the NIH's original 13 Comprehensive Cancer Centers, UAB has pioneered advances in chemotherapy, surgery, radiotherapy, immunotherapy and nutrition and is a world leader in developing innovative monoclonal antibody approaches to cancer therapy.
- UAB is one of the seven inaugural NIH-designated Centers for AIDS Research is a world leader in HIV/AIDS research and patient care. UAB has been among the first to make the newest, most effective treatments available to patients, and U.S. News & World Report ranks the AIDS program No. 8 among “America’s Best Graduate Schools.”
- UAB is one of 25 inaugural members of an NIH-funded neuroscience research consortium created to rapidly advance new treatments. The Comprehensive Neuroscience Center is the focal point for UAB basic and applied neuroscience research of more than 20 specialized centers of study within the university, which created one of the nation’s few undergraduate programs in neuroscience in 2009.
- UAB is one of six NIH Diabetes Research and Training Centers and leads in the development of new methods to treat, prevent and cure diabetes. The UAB Comprehensive Diabetes Center conducts basic, clinical and translational research, develop novel therapies and train clinicians and researchers and provides the most advanced, comprehensive, multidisciplinary care in its clinics for adults and children.
- The Alabama Drug Discovery Alliance, a partnership among UAB, Southern Research, the Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Center for Clinical and Translational Science, brings innovative science to new treatments through drug discovery and development.