Per GBS policy, students must complete 3 upper-level elective courses. For PBMM guidelines regarding eligible courses as well as a partial listing of available courses, click here.
- PBMM students are encouraged to qualify by October/November of their third year.
- The Qualifying Exam consists of a written grant proposaland an oral presentation. Both the written proposal and oral presentation should be given to the student's Dissertation Advisory Committee, and any other faculty members the committee recommends.
- More information regarding selection of a mentor and the qualifying exam may be found in the GBS Student Handbook, pages 34-37. Please note, however, that for the Qualifying Exam, PBMM will use the following format for written proposals: NIH R01 format (one page for Specific Aims; 12 pages for Research Strategy; and a Literature Cited section).
- Students are encouraged to read the relevant portions of both the GBS Student Handbook and the UAB Graduate Student Handbook regarding qualifying exams.
- Once a student has successfully completed the qualifying exam, his/her committee must recommend the student for candidacy to the UAB Graduate School, using the Admission to Candidacy form below.
- Once the student has been admitted to candidacy, he/she may register for GBS 799: Dissertation Research Hours the following semester.
- A student must be admitted to candidacy for one year before he/she may defend.
Qualifying Exam Information (from PBMM website)
Admission to Candidacy Form