Ways to Give
- Online: Make a gift online today
- Mail: Make your check payable to the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Send to UAB Gift Records, AB 1230 - 1720 2nd Ave. South, Birmingham, AL 35294-0112
- In person: Deliver your check to UAB Gift Records at 701 20th St. South, Suite AB 1230. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
- Phone: Call 205-934-7242
- Payroll deduction: Establish payroll deduction online
- Electronic funds transfer: For information about establishing an electronic fund transfer, contact the UAB Gifts Records office at 205-934-7242 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Types of gifts
When you make a gift to the University of Alabama at Birmingham, you have tremendous flexibility to determine how the funds will be used.
- Unrestricted gifts are among the most valuable to UAB because they allow the university to allocate funds where the need is greatest and to seize unique opportunities as they arise. Your unrestricted contribution may be used to support the campaign’s five priorities.
- Directed gifts are designated for a specific school, program, support group or other priority of your choice. When you make a directed gift to UAB, you are supporting an initiative that is personally meaningful to you.
An outright gift puts your contribution to work immediately — funding existing programs or creating a reliable source of future income as part of the university’s endowment. An outright gift may comprise almost any asset of value:
- Cash is the simplest and easiest gift. It can be made through credit/debit card transactions, legal tender, personal checks, cashier’s checks or money orders made payable to the University of Alabama at Birmingham. The university also has a wire account; please contact the UAB Gifts Records office at 205-934-7242 or email email@example.com for details.
- Appreciated securities, stocks, and bonds also provide considerable tax advantages when transferred to UAB before they are sold. If you have held your securities for more than one year, your gift may provide a twofold tax benefit — a income-tax deduction and elimination of the capital-gains tax due on their sale.
- Real estate — including personal residences, second homes, income property and vacant land — offer many tax and other benefits. For example, it is possible to give only a portion of the property (an undivided percentage interest) while retaining the rest for other purposes.
- Personal property — including rare books, works of art, collectibles and tangible items of demonstrable value — may enable you to make a significant gift to support UAB with outstanding tax benefits to you. Likewise, gifts of intangible personal property, such as copyrights, patents and mineral rights, can generate income for the program of your choice on a continuing basis.
For information about giving an outright gift, please contact the UAB Gifts Records office at 205-934-7242 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn about deferred or planned gifts, including bequests, life-income plans and other options for your estate — and for information about increasing your income, earning valuable income-tax deductions and reducing your estate taxes — please visit UAB’s Planned Giving website or contact the Planned Giving office at 205-934-0759.
You may be able to double or even triple your donation to UAB if your company has a gift program that matches all or a percentage of employee contributions to charitable organizations. Ask for a matching-gift form from your personnel office and complete and submit it to UAB with your contribution.
UAB welcomes your gift through a pledge — a formal statement of intention to make a gift to the university. A pledge enables you to make regular payments over time, give more generously than you may have considered possible and count each payment as a charitable deduction on income tax.
An endowment establishes a fund managed by the University of Alabama at Birmingham, which provides perpetual, annual support for its initiatives. For as little as $25,000, an endowed fund may be established to support a college, program or initiative of your choosing. Endowment gifts provide long-term security by expanding the university’s permanent financial base and creating a predictable source of future income for needs such as endowed faculty positions, student scholarships or fellowships, broad-based interdisciplinary research projects or entire academic programs.
A tribute gift is a thoughtful way to honor or memorialize a loved one while making difference in the world. Your memorial gift can establish an endowment, renew a scholarship or help fund other projects. There are several ways to establish a memorial gift:
- Make an outright gift to a campaign or fund at any time
- Set up an endowment to fund a special program or project in perpetuity
- Make a bequest in your will
The University Development Office maintains a campuswide gift records system to document, acknowledge and report all charitable contributions, and it is also responsible for the stewardship of these gifts once they are received and ensuring your Donor Bill of Rights are upheld.