If you plan to travel outside the United States, you should first come to ISSS in the international center on the second floor of Sterne Library at least two weeks before you travel. At that time we can make sure that you have all the necessary documents and signatures to travel. Some scholars may need to renew their visas before returning to the United States.

We will need to check the validity of your passport, your visa stamp, and your most current visa eligibility document (e.g., Form DS-2019, I-20, I-797). Please bring these things with you when you come to our office.

If your spouse and/or children will travel and re-enter the United States without you, please come to the ISSS at least 2 weeks before they intend to leave the United States, so that we can advise you about their travel.

Read our Preparing to Travel information for important guidance not listed here.

In general, as a nonimmigrant returning to the United States, you will need to have a valid passport, an unexpired visa stamp in your passport and the appropriate visa eligibility document. Your previous visa stamp may still be valid for an additional entry to the United States. If it has expired, or if your immigration status has been changed since your arrival in the United States, you must go to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country that you are visiting to apply for a new visa stamp. To apply for an entry visa stamp, you must have a valid passport, the appropriate visa eligibility document and meet any fee, photograph and other requirements. For specifics, consult the State Department’s website before traveling.

Visa issuance takes time, and appointments must be made well in advance. Certain U.S. Embassies and Consulates throughout the world are taking several weeks (sometimes several months) to process nonimmigrant visa requests. Consult the website above and/or contact the nonimmigrant visa section of the particular Embassy or Consulate in advance to inquire about special requirements. There are sometimes difficulties for individuals applying for a visa in a country other than their country of citizenship or legal permanent residence. Visa stamps cannot be issued in the United States.

ISSS wishes you safe travels abroad!