Definition of Dependents:

Spouse: Your lawful spouse (includes a common law spouse in the State of Alabama)

Sponsored Adult Dependent: A sponsored adult dependent is not a relative, is at least 19 years of age, shares a primary residence and has lived with you not as a renter, boarder, tenant or employee for at least twelve months prior to the effective date of coverage.

Children/Student/Disabled Dependent: Your child* up to age 26; Your child* of any age who is incapable of self-sustaining employment by reasons of mental or physical handicap, has been deemed disabled by the Social Security Administration, and is chiefly dependent on you for economic support and maintenance.

*A child is defined as your, your spouse’s or your sponsored adult dependent’s natural child, legally adopted child (including child placed for adoption) or a child in your permanent legal custody. Your, your spouse’s or your sponsored adult dependent’s child of a divorce can be covered as long as a qualified court decree requires you, your spouse, or your sponsored adult dependent to be financially responsible for health care.

Dependent Documentation Required for Coverage:

For Spouse: A copy of your marriage certificate AND documentation dated within the last 6 months establishing financial interdependence

For Children/Incapacitated Dependents: A copy of the child’s birth certificate AND If applicable, a copy of a divorce decree granting full or joint custody OR If applicable, a copy of a court-issued Qualified Medical Child Support Order (QMCSO) or other court order where you or your spouse are required to provide healthcare.

For incapacitated dependents, additionally provide a copy of your most recently filed federal tax return AND a copy of the Social Security Administration approval for disability benefits

For Sponsored Adult Dependent: A copy of the dependent’s birth certificate AND One form of documentation dated on or before January 1, 2013, establishing a common residence AND One form of documentation dated within the past 6 months establishing a common residence

Note: If the child of a sponsored adult dependent is enrolled in the plan but the sponsored adult dependent is not the child’s birth certificate naming the sponsored adult dependent as the parent or appropriate court order / adoption decree AND a copy of the sponsored adult dependent’s 2012 or 2013 federal tax return claiming the child as a dependent will be required.