Temporary Services Department
Interested in hiring a temporary employee?
Effective April 20, 2015, temporary staff requests for all entities will be processed via the electronic PAR/CRF system. Your requests will continue to be processed in a timely manner. We appreciate your business.
Instructions on how to use the new form can be found here.
When it comes to providing qualified temporary staff, UAB Recruitment Services—through its Temporary Services unit--can do much more than fill your immediate need, we can save you time and money. To request a temporary resource, please complete a Temp Request form:
Temporary Services hires temporary employees on a part-time or full-time basis for any hour of the day, including weekends in the following areas:
- Accounting & Finance Services
- Administrative & Office Support Services
- Environmental Services
- Facilities Support Services
- Food & Nutrition Services
- Hospitality & Guest Services
- Patient Care Services
- Medical Billing & Coding Services
- Maintenance & Warehousing Services
- Dental Support Services
- Information Technology (IT) Services
- Laboratory Support Services
- Clinical Research Services
- Scientific Research Services
We will also provide specialty searches and temporary staffing for positions not listed in the groups above.
UAB Temporary Services is committed to matching applicants' job skills to departmental needs in a professional and timely manner.
Candidates interested in applying for a temporary position, please click here.
Overview of Hiring Process
- Requisition Created/Approved: (Policy 102) Approved electronic form received in Recruiting System. Recruiter is notified to begin recruitment process. View the CRF Transition page for more information about PAR/CRF.
- Recruitment Review/Strategy: (Policy 105) Recruiter and hiring manager review position and determine recruitment strategy.
- Job Posted: (Policy 105) Recruiter posts position to Recruiting System.
- Candidates Apply: Candidates review available job postings and apply to job.
- HR Screenings: (Policies 111 & 606) Recruiter reviews, interviews and selects candidates to forward to hiring manager for consideration. Recruiter will review internal candidate employee file to verify transfer eligibility.
- Hiring Selection: (Policy 110) Hiring manager interviews and identifies a candidate for the position.
- Background Check: (Policy 101)
Resources for Hiring Managers
|Quick Hire/Disposition Tip Sheet CAMPUS|
|Quick Hire/Interview/Disposition Tip Sheet HOSPITAL|
|Candidate Management Job Aid||Instructions on how to navigate to move candidates through the CSW, change Steps/Status and perform disposition for multiple candidates.
|Printing a Candidate File Job Aid||Instructions on how to print a candidate file.
|Exporting Candidate List to Excel||Instructions on how to export a candidate list to Microsoft Excel.
Sample of Automatic Correspondences
|Icon and Definitions
||Provides definitions for the tools and icons in the system.
|FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
||Provides general questions and answers about the applicant tracking system.
|Candidate Selection Workflow Reference
||Provides explanation on candidate selection workflow and understanding the step, status and reasons.
|CRF Transition Training Document and FAQs
||Provides instructions on how to naviagte the new CRF/PAR and questions and answers related to the transition from the CRF to the new CRF/PAR.|
Training InformationInformational Sessions
In this hands-on session, you will learn the fundamentals for using the Recruiting System, which includes viewing the requisition, managing applicant resumes, candidate selection workflow and disposition, and the offer process.
For technical support, please submit an online ticket to AskIT or call 205-996-5555.
Employee Transfer Guidelines
The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) recognizes that employee motivation, productivity, and retention are dependent upon people working in jobs that are well suited to their interests and therefore provide opportunities for career development. In addition to advancement within an employee’s current department or division, employees may wish to pursue opportunities elsewhere within UAB. Career moves should be carefully planned and will depend upon the employee’s successful performance and demonstrated success in creating a solid and stable work history.
Managers are encouraged to be supportive of employees who have the desire to enhance their skills or develop new competencies. They should be prepared to assist the employee in investigating opportunities.
A UAB employee is eligible to apply for an open position if he or she:
- Has been in his or her current position for at least twelve (12) months;
- Has successfully completed the initial probationary period of six (6) months as a new UAB employee or the ninety (90) day probationary period, if the employee has previously transferred to their current role;
- Has not received a written warning, suspension or imposed probation within the past 12 months;
- Meets or exceeds the minimum qualifications or requirements that are listed in the job posting.
Employees wishing to apply for a position before completing twelve months of continuous service should contact their immediate supervisor as a first step in the process to let them know of their interest. Following the discussion with the immediate supervisor, an employee wishing to apply for a position should contact his or her assigned HR Consultant (HRC). The HRC will work with the employee’s immediate supervisor to review the employee’s past performance and reasons for transfer. Exceptions to the twelve‐month waiting period will be rare and handled on a case‐by-case basis, with Human Resources making the final decision.
Application, Interview, and Transfer Process
Employees can search for positions within UAB by selecting the www.uab.edu/jobs link. If the employee meets the eligibility requirements stated above and wishes to be considered for a position, the following steps should be taken:
- Employees are encouraged to inform their current manager of their interest to seek a transfer. If eligible, the employee can apply for positions on the UAB website by submitting a resume;
- The Staffing Specialist will then contact the HRC to verify that the employee meets eligibility requirements;
- If eligible, Staffing Specialists will forward resume to hiring manager;
- If the hiring manager makes an offer to the employee, the HRC will work with the hiring manager to structure the offer.
Satisfactory work performance during an employee’s time with UAB is a condition of transfer and hiring managers are authorized to contact previous or current managers as references. In all cases, the employee’s work record including, but not limited to, performance, attendance, and behavior will be used as valid criteria for determining suitability for a position.