Administration Bldg., Room 215
701 20th Street South
Birmingham, AL 35294-0103
The AWARE Program, UAB
1720 2nd Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35294-0103
Email to: AWARE
Job Accommodation Network (JAN)
This is a free service of the Office of Disability Employment Policy, including excellent suggestions for accommodations in the workplace.
Alabama Business Leadership Network
A network of Alabama businesses committed to disability issues, through peer-to-peer networking and assistance. UAB is the lead employer.
Disability Information from the Federal Government
This resource from the White House’s 2001 New Freedom Initiative covers a variety of disability-related topics.
Cornell Employment and Disability Institute
Cornell University remains the leader in industrial and labor information and research, especially concerning disabilities in the workplace.
AWARE Program (Assistance for Employees with Disabilities)
What is AWARE?
The AWARE (Always Working to Advocate, Retain & Employ) Program provides disability-management services when an employee’s job is affected by a physical, mental, or emotional impairment. Through a unique partnership between UAB and the Alabama Department of Rehabilitation Services (ADRS), the AWARE Program assists current employees and their departments, job seekers going through the application process, and employees returning from long-term disability or medical leave. In addition, the AWARE Program coordinates requests for reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Reasonable Accommodation Request Process
The Office of Human Resources has been designated to coordinate employee requests for reasonable workplace accommodations. Employees should make accommodation requests by completing the Accommodation Request Form (This form must be completed using Adobe© Reader) and returning it to the AWARE Disability Management Program Coordinator. It is your responsibility to request an accommodation. The University may require written documentation of your limitations from an appropriate health care provider. View full process here.
Our Current Services Include:
- Disability assistance for employees and their departments
- Vocational evaluations and rehabilitation counseling
- Advice on ADA reasonable accommodations
- On-site workplace assessments by trained rehabilitation engineers
- Coordination of medical information and return-to-work documentation
- Job placement, training, and transitional employment programs for employees who are unable to remain in their current positions
- Recruitment of qualified applicants with disabilities
- Disability awareness and sensitivity training
- Transfer assistance when appropriate
UAB is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify.