Employee Transfer Guidelines
The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) recognizes that employee motivation, productivity, and retention are dependent upon people working in jobs that are well suited to their interests and therefore provide opportunities for career development. In addition to advancement within an employee’s current department or division, employees may wish to pursue opportunities elsewhere within UAB. Career moves should be carefully planned and will depend upon the employee’s successful performance and demonstrated success in creating a solid and stable work history.
Managers are encouraged to be supportive of employees who have the desire to enhance their skills or develop new competencies. They should be prepared to assist the employee in investigating opportunities.
A UAB employee is eligible to apply for an open position if he or she:
- Has been in his or her current position for at least twelve (12) months;
- Has successfully completed the initial probationary period of six (6) months as a new UAB employee or the ninety (90) day probationary period, if the employee has previously transferred to their current role;
- Has not received a written warning, suspension or imposed probation within the past 12 months;
- Meets or exceeds the minimum qualifications or requirements that are listed in the job posting.
Employees wishing to apply for a position before completing twelve months of continuous service should contact their immediate supervisor as a first step in the process to let them know of their interest. Following the discussion with the immediate supervisor, an employee wishing to apply for a position should contact his or her assigned HR Consultant (HRC). The HRC will work with the employee’s immediate supervisor to review the employee’s past performance and reasons for transfer. Exceptions to the twelve‐month waiting period will be rare and handled on a case‐by-case basis, with Human Resources making the final decision.
Application, Interview, and Transfer Process
Employees can search for positions within UAB by selecting the www.uab.edu/jobs link. If the employee meets the eligibility requirements stated above and wishes to be considered for a position, the following steps should be taken:
- Employees are encouraged to inform their current manager of their interest to seek a transfer. If eligible, the employee can apply for positions on the UAB website by submitting a resume;
- The Staffing Specialist will then contact the HRC to verify that the employee meets eligibility requirements;
- If eligible, Staffing Specialists will forward resume to hiring manager;
- If the hiring manager makes an offer to the employee, the HRC will work with the hiring manager to structure the offer.
Satisfactory work performance during an employee’s time with UAB is a condition of transfer and hiring managers are authorized to contact previous or current managers as references. In all cases, the employee’s work record including, but not limited to, performance, attendance, and behavior will be used as valid criteria for determining suitability for a position.
FAQs - Recruitment Services - Help Desk
HOW CAN WE HELP YOU TODAY?
- Identify verification through a Social Security number trace
- A review of local, state, and federal criminal conviction records including an Office Inspector General/General Services Administration (OIG/GSA) check
- Verification of past employment and education history
- Moving Vehicle Report (MVR) (where required)
UAB is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify.
University Job Opportunities
IMPORTANT NOTICE: UAB is pleased to offer an online application system for all candidates who wish to apply for a job vacancy at the University. If you do not have easy access to a computer from which to apply you may use one of the UAB Recruitment Services computer kiosks provided in the UAB Administration Building, Room 110, 701 20th Street South, Birmingham, Alabama.
Clicking the links below will take you to the job listings and online application.
Jobs are posted for a minimum of 3 days. You may apply for up to 20 jobs within a 30 day period. All jobs posted are open for application.
Due to the large volume of applications UAB receives, we are unable to respond to all questions from all applicants. Please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions for assistance.
Click the appropriate link below to see featured job openings.
Be sure to click "Search openings" on the jobs page to view all available job listings.
UAB is an Affirmative Acton/Equal Opportunity Employer.
UAB Manager's Recruitment Toolbox
How to Request a New Employee (Full-Time or Part-Time)
To request a new employee for full-time or part-time work or someone to backfill a departing employee, UAB has an established process that should be followed. The process begins with the CRF form, which provides UAB Compensation and UAB Recruitment Services with the essential information and approvals from your department to help us facilitate your search.
How To Request A Temporary Employee
When it comes to providing qualified temporary staff, UAB Recruitment Services—through its Temporary Services area--can do much more than fill your immediate need, we can save you time and money.
To request a temporary resource, we will first need some information from you and your area. Please complete a Job Order form, which includes the following information:
- Determine if the position temporary or temp to perm
- A complete description of the job including credentials needed
- The start and end date for the engagement (not to exceed 12 months)
Cost Savings - How Temporary Services Benefits You
Why use UAB Temporary Services for your needs? The use of outside temporary employment agencies is discouraged, as UAB may be held accountable for the conduct of outside agencies, and private agencies are much more expensive to utilize. UAB Temporary Services charges a much lower rate than that of outside agencies. Should you decide to hire a Temporary Services employee for a full-time position, there is no conversion fee, which outside firms would normally charge. All applicants undergo a comprehensive initial screening, which includes an extensive criminal history investigation, verification of education and previous work history, and a review of motor vehicle records where necessary.
Departments that are assigned temporary employees are charged the employee’s base salary plus a percentage to cover administrative costs. The department’s budget is automatically billed. No requisitions for payment are required.
For more detailed information regarding the use of Temporary Services, please contact the UAB Temporary Service Office within UAB Recruitment Services at 934-4030.
More Information Coming Soon!