Click here to download the most recent revision of the Form I-9. (Revision date: 03/08/13). Please be sure to print and make available to the employee all pages of the Form, including the "Instructions and the Lists of Acceptable Documents."
Please note: Effective September 8, 2009, UAB began participating in the Federal Government’s E-Verify program. Participation in the E-Verify program requires that the employee must enter the social security number into Section 1 of the Form I-9 and that all List B documents must contain a photograph. All other regulations are unchanged and can be found in The Handbook for Employers at Form I-9 Handbook.
If the employee does not have a Social Security Number at the time the Form I-9 is completed, please contact Records Administration at 934-4408 for additional instructions.
Tips for Form I-9 Processing
Due to federal regulations, Records Administration is unable to accept the Form I-9 if:
- Section 1 of the form must be completed no later than the first day of work.
- Section 2 of the form must be completed no later than 3 business days after the first day of work.
- Because UAB is an E-Verify employer, the employee must enter the social security number in Section 1 of the form. If the employee does not have a social security number, please leave that field blank.
- The Form I-9 is completed only for employees working in the United States - not for independent contractors, volunteers, or trainees.
- Please advise the employee to use their legal name when completing the Form I-9.
- Section 1 of the Form I-9 must be completed personally by the employee unless he is unable to write or does not understand enough English to complete it.
- Section 2 of the Form must be completed and signed by the UAB representative who examines the original documents presented by the employee.
- The employee must be allowed to choose which documents to present for Section 2 of the Form I-9.
We must not request specific documents or reject acceptable documents because we prefer others.