- Displaced Employees Support Group - Meets each Thursday at 1:15 p.m. at the UAB Employee Assistance and Counseling Center. The purpose of this group is to provide a therapeutic outlet for displaced employees while dealing with this difficult transition. The support group for displaced employees will meet every Thursday afternoon at 1:15p.m. at the UAB Employee Assistance and Counseling Center, 2112 11th Avenue South, Suite 330. To register, call: 205.934.2281
- Women's Support Group Focused on Balance - Meetings are at the UAB Employee Assistance and Counseling Center. The UAB Employee Assistance and Counseling Center is offering a 7-week women's support group each Wednesday beginning May 7, 2014 from 5:00-6:15 p.m. The support group will focus on ways in which women can find balance in their everyday life through self-care. Topics discussed include: stress management, self-esteem, effective communication, maintaining boundaries in relationships.
The group is open to women who are employees of UAB, UAB Medicine and VIVA. The group will meet at the UAB Employee Assistance and Counseling Center, Suite 330, 2112 11th Avenue South. Registration is required. Support Group Flyer. You may begin at any point during the group. Contact 205.934.2281 for more information.
- Beat the Pack - Let us help you stop smoking! Visit the UAB Wellness page for details. If you would like to work with a counselor individually, please call: 205.934.2281
- UAB, UAB Medicine, and VIVA Employees may see a UAB Employee Assistance and Counseling Center counselor for up to 4 sessions of individualized smoking cessation counseling. (These 4 smoking cessation sessions do not count toward the annual 12 session limit).
- UAB Wellness – Visit UAB Wellness for information on additional tobacco cessation initiatives.
- Alabama Tobacco Quitline – 1-800-QUITNOW The Alabama Tobacco Quitline offers FREE information to anyone interested in quitting tobacco use, or to anyone who wants more information about quitting. The Quitline offers FREE master's level counseling, a personalized quit plan, and four weeks of free nicotine patches if you are enrolled in counseling. All Quitline services and Alabama QuitNow services are FREE to Alabama residents. Call 1-800-QUITNOW or 1-800-784-8669 Or click here For Online Counseling to help you stop smoking.
- Additional Resources:
Birmingham Doctors listing of support groups related to physical health (Cancer, diabetes, heart disease, etc.)
2-1-1 Connects Alabama – United Way list of supported services in Alabama
Caregiver.com – Resources listed by county
Resources in Alabama - Alabama State caregiving resources, Alabama healthcare resources, Alabama caregiver support groups, and local and State resources for those taking care of a loved one.
Caring For Your Parents – PBS program that has videos, a handbook and resources listed online.
National Directory of Resources
Caregivers group at Dawson Memorial Baptist Church
Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any language to the contrary, nothing contained herein constitutes, nor is intended to constitute, an offer, inducement, promise, or contract of any kind. The data contained herein are for informational purposes only and are not represented to be error free. Any links to non-UAB information are provided as a courtesy. They are not intended to constitute, nor do they constitute, an endorsement of the linked materials by the University of Alabama at Birmingham.