Provided below are links to information, forms and other resources that you may find helpful as a veteran at UAB.
At UAB, we are committed to advancing our already diverse community. Please take a moment to read our UAB Affirmative Action policy to become informed on concerns with discrimination and how you should handle this should it arise.Veterans and Individuals with Disability Self ID Form - Current employees, fill out this form to voluntarily self-identify as a veteran or individual with disabilities. Submission of this information is strictly voluntary, and refusal to provide it will NOT subject you to any adverse treatment.
UAB employees may take advantage of the AWARE Program, which provides disability-management services when an employee’s job is affected by a physical, mental or emotional impairment. The AWARE program coordinates requests for reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
The UAB Employee Assistance and Counseling Center (EACC) is anemployee benefit designed to provide employees and their immediate household members with resources for resolving work-related and personal problems. The UAB EACC provides employee assistance, confidential counseling, community referral, supervisor consultation, crisis management and a variety of educational programs to support successful work life integration. Contact the UAB Employee Assistance and Counseling Center for more information on programs and events, counselors and eligibility.
UAB HR and Still Serving Veterans Collaborate on Career Fair
UAB HR and Still Serving Veterans will host a Veteran Career Fair on Nov. 10, 2015. Participants have been pre-selected based on job availability and employer needs. Still Serving Veterans (SSV) is an Alabama-based Veterans’ service organization that empowers wounded warriors, Veterans, and their families to optimally transition into meaningful new careers and post-military lives with all the benefits and service that they have earned. For more information, please contact Still Serving Veterans at 205 670-1955 or visit their web page here.
Veteran Services is a valuable resource for UAB students who have served in the United States Armed Forces and who are attending college using one or more of the Educational Benefits packages. UAB proudly partners with the Veterans Administration to provide VA Yellow Ribbon benefits to qualified students. Please consult the UAB Veteran Recruitment and Student Services page for more information on these programs and services.
- Birmingham Vet Center – Assists veterans and their families with readjustment counseling and outreach services.
- The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) “protects the job rights of individuals who voluntarily or involuntarily leave employment positions to undertake military service or certain types of service in the National Disaster Medical System. USERRA also prohibits employers from discriminating against past and present members of the uniformed services, and applicants to the uniformed services.”
- Alabama Transition Assistance Program (TAP) – Established to meet the needs of separating service members during their period of transition into civilian life by offering job-search assistance and related services.
- National Resource Directory (NRD) – Connecting wounded warriors, service members, veterans, their families and caregivers with those who support them.
- Joining Forces – Dedicated to connecting servicemen and women, veterans and military spouses with the resources they need to find jobs at home.
- BrainLineMilitary – Living with TBI: help for service members, veterans, National Guard, reserve and families.
- VA Medical Center – Provides acute tertiary medical and surgical care to veterans of Alabama and surrounding states.
- Greenlight a Vet – Greenlight A Vet is a campaign to establish visible national support for our veterans by changing one light to green. Watch several veterans tell their individual stories here.
- Still Serving Veterans – SSV is a nonprofit dedicated to helping Veterans and their families receive all the benefits and services they have earned, connecting them to other vital Veteran support resources within their community, and significantly expanding their career opportunities.