Individuals wishing to donate toys should place them in the designated collection boxes or bring them to the UAB Administration Building lobby by noon on December 10th. Toy collection boxes are located in buildings throughout campus, including the Administration Building, Campbell Hall, CH19, Cudworth Hall, FAB, Kaul Building, Heritage Hall, Hoehn, Lister Hill Library, School of Nursing, and the UAB Police Department just to name a few. Sterne Library is also participating again this year, and library fines not exceeding $25 will be waived when you bring in the overdue books and a new, unwrapped toy (applied to current overdue books and fines only).
About the scam:
Support Desk Scams are perpetrated through a phone call. Typically, the scammer will have a thick foreign accent and claim to be from some company’s (e.g. Microsoft, Apple) Support Services in the Technical Department. The scammer will tell you something along the lines of “Your computer is seriously infected and has been causing a lot of trouble on the internet” or that “Your machine is at serious risk for infection”. Some scammers even offer you the opportunity to verify their ID by typing a specific command into your computer but this is not a legitimate method of verification. Once the scam caller feels they have your trust, they will ask you to take one of the following actions:
- visit a website that will allow them complete access to your machine
- download something they claim will help but is actually a virus
- purchase an item that will protect your machine but will do more harm than good and require you provide them will personal information.
What you should look for and know:
- Microsoft will never call you and say you’re machine is at risk/compromised or that you have been causing problems on the internet.
- Always ask for a call back number and say you’ll call them back. Google the phone number they give you. It is likely someone else has posted complaints about scammer online.
- Never purchase and/or download something blindly from the internet based on the suggestion of an untrusted source.
- Never give anyone access to your machine that you do not know and explicitly trust.