Desktop Web Conferencing
Microsoft Lync is a messaging and conferencing solution that connects and engages audiences in online meetings, training and events. With Lync meeting, attendees participating from their PCs can be part of a presentation, kick off a project, brainstorm ideas, edit files, and collaborate on whiteboards, all without the hassle and cost of travel. Lync helps users streamline communications from small collaborative meetings to large events.
Note: Please order the Lync Service from this page, not directly from Microsoft. When you're ready to order, click ORDER NOW.
- Share and record your meeting notes (record only from PC)
- Highlight and emphasize key aspects of your presentation
- Ordering information:
- What's Included
- Unlimited number of meetings (only one concurrent meeting)
- Audio via computer whne using installed Lync client or browser (see Telephone Bridge option below for use where computer audio/mic/speaker is not available)
- Cost $10 per month
- Optional Telephone Conference Bridge
- 800 number
- Toll-based number
- Cost: per minute of use for each attendee
- Charged to organizer for toll-free at $.05 per attendee per minute
- Paid as standard long-distance costs by attendee when using toll-based number
- Note: Select "Lync Request" in the drop-down box on the service request page | ORDER NOW
- What's Included
- Connect remote participants and teams
- Make a bigger impact with dynamic audio and video
- Distribute handouts before or during your meetings
- Stay in touch anywhere: Lync enables users to communicate securely anywhere they have network connectivity, and automatically adapts to network conditions.
Use the device you want: Lync makes communicating easier with a consistent and familiar experience available on Windows PCs, Windows Phone, iOS, and Android smartphones. The new immersive Lync app for Windows 8 and Windows RT provides a seamless touch-first experience.
Communicate in the right way: Lync unifies voice and video calls, Lync Meetings, presence, and instant messaging (IM) in one easy-to-use client, making it simple to choose and switch between different forms of communication.
Take advantage of standards-based HD video: Lync uses open standards including H.264 SVC to provide a high-quality video experience on a wide range of devices.
Make virtual meetings more effective: See up to five meeting participants simultaneously with new multiparty HD video support. You can choose who to see or let Lync choose for you.Easily join meetings: Joining a Lync Meeting requires only a single touch or click on smartphones, tablets, and PCs.
Extend Lync Meetings outside your organization with browser-based access:The Lync Web App allows PC and Mac users to join a Lync Meeting from a browser and delivers a full online meeting experience including IM, voice, multiparty video, data collaboration and sharing.Take notes in OneNote: OneNote share allows users in to create and share OneNote digital meeting notes within Lync Meetings.
Cisco's WebEx conferencing product allows you to collaborate with colleagues across your organization, or halfway across the planet. You can meet online and share files, information, and expertise. WebEx solutions are meant to increase productivity while keeping you connected.UAB has negotiated a master agreement with WebEx that allows UAB faculty and staff to subscribe to certain enterprise subscriptions. See the information below for details.
Ready to order?
- WebEx will provide you with a quote/order form via an email link.
- Click on the link to open the online agreement.
- Print the signature page and then download and print the actual agreement. DO NOT CLICK OFF ON THE ELECTRONIC APPROVAL.
- Route the agreement through UAB Contracts for normal approvals. Attach the document at this link to the document packet as the governing agreement.
- Once signed by UAB then fax all pages to WebEx at the number provided on the quote.
WebEx is a comprehensive suite of real-teim web collaboration services that enable organizations to increase reach, accelerate business processes and reduce costs. Learn more.Share ideas online with anyone, anywhere. Learn more.
UAB Online Announces Campus Overview Sessions for Blackboard and Instructure/Canvas
As the academic learning system selection process continues, the two finalists will be making presentations to the UAB Campus between October 29-31. Sessions will be held in the Center for Teaching and Learning (Education Building Room 243 across from Sterne Library) and will also be streamed live for those that wish to participate online. Both Blackboard and Instructure/Canvas will present identical sessions over different days to accomodate as many schedules as possible.
Schedule: (Note: session archives are now available, see below)
- Tuesday October 29
- Canvas overview session at 2:00pm (view archive)
- Wednesday October 30
- Canvas overview session at 11:00am
- Blackboard overview session 2:00PM (view archive)
- Canvas overview session at 11:00am
- Thursday October 31
- Blackboard overview session 11:00am
- Blackboard overview session 11:00am
More information on the learning system selection process can be found on the UAB Online website.
Effective, October 18th, 2013, all Telecom work orders must be submitted through our Telecom work order form located at https://commservices.comm.uab.edu/ServiceRequest/login.aspx
The new voice mail platform was successfully implemented on November 15th, 2012. Archived messages were only available until December 15th, 2012.
Current users of MATLAB are required to UPDATE the current license on their desktop before Feb 1, 2013. To update MATLAB, open MATLAB and do following:
- click on Help and then Licensing and then UPDATE.
- MATLAB will take a couple minutes to connect to the MATLAB License center and download an update license file to the users desktop.
For more information on MATLAB see http://www.uab.edu/it/home/component/k2/item/306-matlab.
UAB IT provides several for-fee streaming services via a Wowza Streaming Server hosted on the UAB campus. The Wowza solution provides capabilities for both live streaming and archiving of recorded sessions/events and streams content to all of the most popular devices and protocols.Order Now Click and complete the online form.NOTE: if your request involves academic material (defined as material associated with an ACTIVE Banner course) some media/streaming services may be available to you at no cost. If you believe your content meets the Academic criteria click here for Media Services for Academic Courses.
- Live Streaming: User must provide capture equipment, network connection(s) and personnel for onsite; IT provides management of the stream and streaming server; Billed based on actual hours stream is active with a 2 hour minimum and in hourly increments; separate fee to archive the stream for future viewing. See the pricing section for more information.
- Archived Content and On-Demand Streaming: setup fee is per directory/folder; a separate directory is required for each account string; billed at actual storage used (with min Gb requirement). Two options for storage are available including both individual file storage and bulk storage managed by the end-user department. Some storage may be at no cost if the content is considered academic in nature (academic being defined/determined based on the material being associated with an active course in Banner.) See the pricing section for more information.
$32.00 / hour (during
regular business hours
assuming basic facilitation;
other periods is limited and
at an additional cost)
2 hour min. billing
|User must provide capture equipment, network connection(s) and personnel; IT provides management of the stream and streaming server; Billed based on actual hours stream is active with a 2 hour minimum and in hourly increments; separate fee to archive the stream for future viewing|
Archiving & On-Demand Streaming(Individual file/event basis)
See Note below related to
$45.00 / Gb annually
Setup fee is per directory/folder; a separate directory is required for each account string; billed at actual storage used and in 1Gb increments (min 1 Gb billing); if you have previously set up On-Demand, the set-up fee will not apply.
Archiving & On-Demand Streaming(Bulk storage)
$200 / 10Gb annually
Setup fee for top level directory; a separate directory is required for each account string; billed in increments of 10gb; user group manages all uploading, directories, etc.; if you have previously set up On-Demand, the set-up fee will not apply.
NOTE: For individual archived files (not bulk services) if the content is determined to be for Academic Use (defined by the material being associated with an ACTIVE Banner course) there may be no cost for the services. If you believe your content meets the Academic criteria, contact Instructional Technology at 205-934-0429 for more details or click here.
- Wowza Media Server 3 is compatible with Flash Player, Silverlight Smooth Streaming player, QuickTime player, VLC, native playback on iOS devices, as well as with a variety of native H.264/AAC capable players on 3GPP, set-top boxes, and other devices.
- Wowza Media Server 3 supports several variants of RTMP as well as HDS for Flash, Silverlight Smooth Streaming, Apple HLS for iPhone/iPad and other compatible devices, RTSP/RTP for Android, QuickTime and other 3GPP mobile devices, and MPEG-TS for set-top boxes. See specifications for a current list of supported protocols.
- Wowza Media Server 3 supports streaming to many types of devices, including PCs, Macs, iPhones/iPads and other devices supporting HLS, Android smart phones/tablets, other 3GPP smartphones/tablets, Internet connected TVs, IPTV/OTT set-top boxes, etc.
UAB Telecommunications is implementing our new voice mail platform on November 15th, 2012.
Your new voice mail box has been created on the new system and we need you to setup your new voice mail box prior to the cutover on November 15th.
Please go to our IT Telecommunications website for complete directions in setting up your new voice mail box.
You will be able to access archived voice mail messages on your old voice mail until December 15th, 2012. To access archived messages dial (6-6001) and follow the prompts.
*Please note that UAB Health System Cisco VoIP phones will not be affected by the cutover to the new voice mail system.