UAB makes software available to faculty, staff and students under a variety of licenses. These are:
- Site Licenses - In certain cases, UAB has negotiated with a software manufacturer pricing that will provide access to a software program to all faculty, staff and students on campus. UAB has paid for these software licenses and only needs to ensure that the users downloading the software are actually members of the UAB community.
Software covered under site license is available free for download or for purchase with a nominal media fee.
Examples: Microsoft Office (see Microsoft Campus Agreement), SAS, SPSS, EndNote (for campus)
- Volume Discount Licenses - Other software titles are covered under a Volume Discount license. UAB was able to negotiate a reduced price for a bulk quantity of licenses. Most of these titles are free for use by the UAB Community - the only difference is that the University must keep track and count the number of copies of the software being used, in order to comply with the license agreement.
Software covered under volume discount license is usually free for download or for purchase with a nominal media fee.
Example: Microsoft Visio, Adobe
- Freeware - These software titles are free to use under the license provided with the software, and UAB did not have to negotiate any pricing to obtain the titles.
Example: TN3270 Emulator Software for Mac
What should I expect once I request software from IT Procurement?
For products that are managed/licensed through IT Procurement (certain bulk purchased software and products covered under a site or volume purchase agreement) we will work with you to determine exactly what software versions you need and ensure proper licensing for your situation. Your order may be processed in one of 3 ways depending on the software you need.
1. For software that is available for download without additional charges you will be directed to the IT Software Library website. If you are unable to download because you are unable to create and ISO file or unable to copy the file to disk, you may prefer physical media. IT Procurement can provide you with the media at a cost of $5 per CD/DVD. For physical media requests you will need to go online to www.uab.edu/askit and submit a new request and provide a valid account number before we can release the media.
- Our goal is to fulfill requests for download instructions by the end of the same business day, and to fulfill requests for pickup of physical media by the end of the next business day (once a valid account number is provided).
- License keys necessary for installation of the software will be emailed/provided to you through the AskIT ticket within 24 hours after the media has been picked up from the AskIT Help Desk.
2. For bulk purchased software for which IT Procurement is reselling the product we will validate the requirements for installation with you and provide a cost back to you for an approval via the AskIT ticket you submitted.
- In general, you should expect a response to your initial inquiry with pricing by the end of the same business day.
- If you approve of the cost you should reply back to the AskIT email with the appropriate quantities and a valid account number string.
- From the time you reply back with the necessary information our goal is to fulfill your request with instructions on pickup of physical media and license keys necessary for installation of the software by the end of the next business day.
3. For purchases of products requiring a Purchase Order to be generated to a vendor (Microsoft products covered under our select agreement) we will validate the requirements for installation with you and provide a cost for your review via the AskIT ticket you submitted. The overall process for orders requiring a PO should take between 7 and 10 business days, depending on how long it takes for routing the request through Oracle for approvals.
- In general, for workstation related products you should expect a response to your initial inquiry with questions or pricing by the end of the same business day. Requests for server related products should receive a response by the end of the next business day.
- Once final costs are provided to you, if you want to proceed with the order you should reply back to the AskIT email with the appropriate quantities and a valid account number.
- IT Procurement will enter the request into the Oracle system generally on the same day we receive your approval to proceed. The document will route for approvals according to the normal Oracle approval process for the account number provided, and then route to UAB Procurement for issuance of a Purchase Order to the vendor. IT Procurement will update the AskIT ticket to provide you with notice that the order has been approved.
- IT Procurement will monitor the Microsoft Volume Licensing site for validation that the UAB Purchase has been submitted appropriately to Microsoft. This validation generally requires between 3 and 5 business days once the purchase order has been submitted to the vendor.
- Once the purchase has been validated you should expect an update from IT Procurement with the necessary information on pickup of physical media (if applicable) and license keys necessary for installation of the software.