The new network will offer more convenience and security for campus users with BlazerIDs and will greatly streamline the WiFi access for guest users.
UABStartHere and UABSecure will replace the current networks named uabwifi, uabwifi-nac and uabvisitor.
Campus users who have had devices connected to UAB’s WiFi networks will need to reconfigure those devices beginning July 31. Uabwifi and uabvisitor will be available only until Aug. 15, and uabwifi-nac will be available until Nov. 15.
For users with a BlazerID and password, UABSecure is the preferred network because it provides encryption for sensitive data. UABStartHere is a completely open network, which means it provides no encryption and users will not need to enter a WEP key as they have in the past.
WiFi users who want to connect to UAB’s WiFi network will begin by choosing the UABStartHere network from their device. Upon opening a web browser, users will be automatically directed to a Web site where they can choose whether to configure their device for the UABSecure network, log on to the UABStartHere network or to register as a guest user.
Guests on campus will no longer be required to get sponsor access to use the campus WiFi network. They can simply log on to UABStartHere using a valid e-mail address to get 24 hours of access to the WiFi network.
Unencrypted sensitive data should NOT be transmitted through the UABStartHere network unless protected by other means, such as a virtual private network (VPN) session.
If your WiFi device can support the UABSecure network, we highly suggest taking the time to walk through configuring your device using QuickConnect. Click here for instructions.
How do I find my IP Address and Network Settings?
The IP Address and network settings are used for addressing and routing over an Ethernet network. It is your computer or printer's logical (virtual) address.
An IP Address looks like this: 184.108.40.206
Windows 7, Vista, XP
- Open a DOS Window (Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt).
- Type the command: ipconfig -all | more.
- Open System Preferences in the Dock.
- Click the Network tab.
See a map of current sites.
UAB WiFi is available to all students, faculty and staff free of charge, and to guests who sign up for a one-day guest account. Click here to learn more about how to connect your devices.
Using the UAB WiFi Network
UAB IT provides a WiFi network in support of the academic, research, and administrative work of the UAB community. This WiFi network serves classrooms, common areas, green spaces, and many other popular areas around campus.
To use this network, you must have a device with a WiFi network adapter. Two WiFi networks are available as of July 31, 2014:
- UABStartHere: All users will begin by connecting to this network. Upon opening a web browswer, the user will automatically be directed to a Web page where they can choose a list of options. UAB students, employees and faculty members will have the option to either configure their WiFi device using QuickConnect or log on to the open UABStartHere network. Guests will have the option to register and log on to UABStartHere.
- UABSecure: This secure network is the preferred network for UAB students, employees and faculty members. Users must have a valid BlazerID and password, and have their WiFi device properly configured for this network. Instructions for configuring a WiFi device for UABSecure are listed below.
Issues with WiFi
If you have an issue with the UAB WiFi network please report those concerns to AskIT (email@example.com; www.uab.edu/askit; 205-996-5555)