UAB Information Technology offices will be closed beginning at 5:00 PM Friday December 21, 2012 and will reopen Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 8:00 AM. Exceptions are as follows:
AskIT Help Desk:
- December 22/23, Saturday/Sunday OPEN (Sat 10am-5pm, Sun 1pm-5pm)
- December 24/25, Monday/Tuesday CLOSED
- December 26/27/28/29/30, Wed/Thur/Fri/Sat/Sun AskIT will be closed to telephone calls but, to the extent possible, will be handling password reset requests submitted online at www.uab.edu/askit.
- December 31 & January 1, Monday/Tuesday CLOSED
- Our automated password reset tool is always available at https://idm.blazernet.uab.edu/bid/pwd if you have a cell phone registered in B-Alert. If not, please take this opportunity to register a cell phone now at B-Alert.
- A limited staff will be available to cover hospital needs only during the holiday week.
Security Incident and emergency Information Security support is available on a limited basis during the closure hours/days by calling (205) 975-0842.
If you are currently subscribed and receiving IT events & announcements, please take note that the subscription process will be changing, effective Monday, October 22nd. Resubscribe by going to the IT homepage and click 'Subscribe by Email to Announcements' in the lower left corner of your screen.
During National Cybersecurity Awareness Month this year, UAB IT is sponsoring a series of presentations on cybersecurity topics of interest. Please join us for the October 24th brown bag luncheon at noon in the West Pavilion, room D. Mr. Joshua Smith, security analyst at HealthSouth Corporation, will be speaking on "Defending Your System from a Cross Site Scripting (XSS) Cyber Attack."
At HealthSouth, Mr. Smith focuses on security architecture, blue team and defense-in-depth, risk assessments and penetration testing. Off the clock, he enjoys researching and learning binary reversing, malware research, exploitation development, web application security and wireless security. He currently holds several certifications, including CISSP, GWAPT, GAWN and VCP.
Join us to gain a better understanding and awareness of cybersecurity as it pertains to UAB, our country and the world.
Registration is available. Please bring your own lunch. Drinks and dessert will be provided.
ATTNET Service Users
We have been notified that the State of Alabama will no longer subsidize in-state long distance (ATTNET) service. Currently, this service is accessed by campus and hospital extensions by dialing 8+1 + area code + number for in -state long distance calls.
The ATTNET service will be discontinued as of 9/28/2012. After this date, all long distance calls must be completed by dialing 9+1 + area code + number. Standard UAB long distance rates will apply (currently $.05/minute). Any calls made using the 8+1 dialing code after 9/28/2012 will receive an announcement stating that ATTNET service is no longer available.
We apologize for any inconvenience this last minute change may cause. If you have any questions, or issues reprogramming auto-dialers, please contact our help desk at 4-7777.