The PGP Zip feature of PGP Desktop provides a solution to users that need to transport or send sensitive data by offering encrypted archives that are encrypted and decrypted with a strong password.
NOTE: It is currently impossible to recover passwords associated with encrypted archives. If you lose or forget the password for the archive, the data contained within it cannot be recovered.
Create an Encrypted Archive
- To create an encrypted archive, open PGP Desktop and click PGP Zip on the sidebar and then choose New PGP Zip.
- From this screen, either click the folder plus icon, or drag and drop your files into the window.
- When you have added all of the necessary files to the archive, you have the option of deleting the original files by checking the box in the bottom-right section of the window. When you are ready to proceed, click Next.
- On the Encrypt screen, you will need to choose how the files will be encrypted and click Next.
- Passphrase (Mac and PC): recommended in cases where the recipient or destination does have PGP installed. This is also recommended in situations where files are being transported between Macs and PCs. Passphrase encrypted archives can be sent via email or UAB Dropbox.
- PGP Self-Decrypting Archive (PC Only): recommended in cases where the recipient or destination does not have PGP installed. Self-decrypting (.exe) archives cannot be sent via email, but they can be sent through the UAB Dropbox.
- Enter and confirm a passphrase that is at least eight characters long and click Next.
- Choose a destination for the PGP zip file and click Next. A signing key is not necessary.
- Be sure that when you share the passphrase to the archive, that you use a delivery method that is different from the one used to send the archive. Keeping the file and the password separate is important to ensure that only authorized users have access to the file.
Using the UAB Dropbox to Transport and Encrypted Archive
- Navigate to http://www.uab.edu/it/dropbox, and select Login to log in with your BlazerID and password.
- Select drop off and enter the recipient's name and email address in the respective spots.
- Click Browse and find the file that you want to upload. You can also enter a description of the file if you would like.
- Click Upload and wait for the page to return a confirmation. There is not a status bar or status page available, but the confirmation page will be displayed once the file has been completely uploaded.