UAB IT is planning to migrate UAB employee and faculty email to Office 365, a cloud-based system that offers new tools and continuous upgrades to improve the service and environment.
Office 365 offers several advantages for users, and because email is in the cloud, it is not dependent on UAB facilities being available when the user is off-campus. Office 365 is also the email system that students use.
After two successful pilot programs, UAB IT has been migrating the email of customers served by Desktop Services throughout the month of March.
On April 7, UAB IT will begin migrating all campus employees' email to Office 365, with migrations taking place in waves throughout the summer. Employees whose email will be migrated will be notifed by email the week before the migration, with detailed instructions about how to prepare for the change.
There are three main steps that employees can take to prepare for the most successful email migration:
- Update to Microsoft Office 2016.
- Ensure your user name is set in the format "BlazerID@uab.edu" on ALL of your devices.
- Ensure that your email is in what is called "cached mode."
To enable cached mode:
1. Go to File click the Account Settings button and select Account Settings
2. Select the account with Microsoft Exchange as the Type, then click the Change button
3. Under Offline Settings, check the box for Use Cached Exchange Mode
4. Click Next, Finish.
UAB IT will host an online Town Hall meeting about the migration for campus IT professionals on Monday, March 27, at 1 p.m.
Click here to learn more about the migration.