Using the UAB WiFi Network
UAB IT provides a WiFi network in support of the academic, research, and administrative work of the UAB community. This WiFi network serves classrooms, common areas, green spaces, and many other popular areas around campus.
To use this network, you must have a device with a WiFi network adapter. Two WiFi networks are available as of July 31, 2014:
- UABStartHere: All users will begin by connecting to this network. Upon opening a web browswer, the user will automatically be directed to a Web page where they can choose a list of options. UAB students, employees and faculty members will have the option to either configure their WiFi device using QuickConnect or log on to the open UABStartHere network. Guests will have the option to register and log on to UABStartHere.
- UABSecure: This secure network is the preferred network for UAB students, employees and faculty members. Users must have a valid BlazerID and password, and have their WiFi device properly configured for this network. Instructions for configuring a WiFi device for UABSecure are listed below.
Issues with WiFi
If you have an issue with the UAB WiFi network please report those concerns to AskIT (email@example.com; www.uab.edu/askit; 205-996-5555)
UAB IT has contracted with InCommon to provide Comodo SSL server certificates for the uab.edu domain.
Any UAB department using a certificate ending in uab.edu can use the service at no cost. UAB IT pays a yearly fee that covers all certificates.
For regular SSL server certificates, the server administrator can order them here.
For wildcard certificates and multiple domain name certificates, the server administrator should send a request to AskIT with all of the details and a valid CSR (Certificate Signing Request), and the request will be routed through Data Security and the Unix team.
- 50 GB of e-mail space, an increase of 49 GB from the current service
- 25 GB of free file storage, an increase of 24 GB from the current service
- Access to Microsoft Office applications from laptops, tablets, and other mobile devices
- A single web interface to access all of the above features
Students who prefer to work offline will be able to download the Office applications and continue using their preferred e-mail clients.
We expect all students to be transitioned to the Office 365 service by June 30, 2014. For more information and how the transition will occur please visit our Office 365 for Students info page.
Desktop Web Conferencing
Microsoft Lync is a messaging and conferencing solution that connects and engages audiences in online meetings, training and events. With Lync meeting, attendees participating from their PCs can be part of a presentation, kick off a project, brainstorm ideas, edit files, and collaborate on whiteboards, all without the hassle and cost of travel. Lync helps users streamline communications from small collaborative meetings to large events.
Note: Please order the Lync Service from this page, not directly from Microsoft. When you're ready to order, click ORDER NOW.
- Share and record your meeting notes (record only from PC)
- Highlight and emphasize key aspects of your presentation
- Ordering information:
- What's Included
- Unlimited number of meetings (only one concurrent meeting)
- Audio via computer whne using installed Lync client or browser (see Telephone Bridge option below for use where computer audio/mic/speaker is not available)
- Cost $10 per month
- Optional Telephone Conference Bridge
- 800 number
- Toll-based number
- Cost: per minute of use for each attendee
- Charged to organizer for toll-free at $.05 per attendee per minute
- Paid as standard long-distance costs by attendee when using toll-based number
- Note: Select "Lync Request" in the drop-down box on the service request page | ORDER NOW
- What's Included
- Connect remote participants and teams
- Make a bigger impact with dynamic audio and video
- Distribute handouts before or during your meetings
- Stay in touch anywhere: Lync enables users to communicate securely anywhere they have network connectivity, and automatically adapts to network conditions.
Use the device you want: Lync makes communicating easier with a consistent and familiar experience available on Windows PCs, Windows Phone, iOS, and Android smartphones. The new immersive Lync app for Windows 8 and Windows RT provides a seamless touch-first experience.
Communicate in the right way: Lync unifies voice and video calls, Lync Meetings, presence, and instant messaging (IM) in one easy-to-use client, making it simple to choose and switch between different forms of communication.
Take advantage of standards-based HD video: Lync uses open standards including H.264 SVC to provide a high-quality video experience on a wide range of devices.
Make virtual meetings more effective: See up to five meeting participants simultaneously with new multiparty HD video support. You can choose who to see or let Lync choose for you.Easily join meetings: Joining a Lync Meeting requires only a single touch or click on smartphones, tablets, and PCs.
Extend Lync Meetings outside your organization with browser-based access:The Lync Web App allows PC and Mac users to join a Lync Meeting from a browser and delivers a full online meeting experience including IM, voice, multiparty video, data collaboration and sharing.Take notes in OneNote: OneNote share allows users in to create and share OneNote digital meeting notes within Lync Meetings.
Cisco's WebEx conferencing product allows you to collaborate with colleagues across your organization, or halfway across the planet. You can meet online and share files, information, and expertise. WebEx solutions are meant to increase productivity while keeping you connected.UAB has negotiated a master agreement with WebEx that allows UAB faculty and staff to subscribe to certain enterprise subscriptions. See the information below for details.
Ready to order?
- Contact the WebEx representative, Ashley Oldani (615-324-4879) firstname.lastname@example.org or Evan Bearry email@example.com ( 904-996-1307), DO NOT order via the WebEx website.
- WebEx will provide you with a quote/order form via an email link.
- Click on the link to open the online agreement.
- Print the signature page and then download and print the actual agreement. DO NOT CLICK OFF ON THE ELECTRONIC APPROVAL.
- Route the agreement through UAB Contracts for normal approvals. Attach the document at this link to the document packet as the governing agreement.
- Once signed by UAB then fax all pages to WebEx at the number provided on the quote.
WebEx is a comprehensive suite of real-teim web collaboration services that enable organizations to increase reach, accelerate business processes and reduce costs. Learn more.Share ideas online with anyone, anywhere. Learn more.
Persons who are formally affiliated with UAB gain access to university-managed electronic resources by means of an officially recognized credential called a “BlazerID." A non-UAB person who needs access to these resources is not eligible to create a BlazerID, and is thus required to obtain a guest username and password. Guest accounts (also referred to as “XIAS” accounts) must be sponsored by a UAB employee, and are subject to an approval and setup process.
Who is a guest?
Guest accounts can be used for many purposes at UAB. Guests can fall into a number of categories, including but not limited to:
- A researcher accessing data stored on a UAB SharePoint site
- A colleague from another institution who needs to access a UAB file share
- A vendor that is remotely supporting a UAB-owned system via VPN
- A site visitor conducting an accreditation review who needs local network access
- A consultant who needs system access to conduct on-site installation or maintenance
- A high school guidance counselor who needs access to Banner
As a Sponsor, use the links below to begin the process of setting up a guest account. Once you have completed the underlying form(s), the sponsored user or users will receive automated emails that will guide them through the process of completing the setup. Once the setup is complete, you will receive an email confirmation and information on next steps.
I would like to…
As a guest, you will receive an automated email that with instructions on how to complete the setup of your sponsored account. You can use the link below to manage certain aspects of your account, such as a forgotten password. Please note that as a guest you are not able to initiate the account creation process; this must be done by a valid UAB-affiliated sponsor.
UAB IT provides several for-fee streaming services via a Wowza Streaming Server hosted on the UAB campus. The Wowza solution provides capabilities for both live streaming and archiving of recorded sessions/events and streams content to all of the most popular devices and protocols.Order Now Click and complete the online form.NOTE: if your request involves academic material (defined as material associated with an ACTIVE Banner course) some media/streaming services may be available to you at no cost. If you believe your content meets the Academic criteria click here for Media Services for Academic Courses.
- Live Streaming: User must provide capture equipment, network connection(s) and personnel for onsite; IT provides management of the stream and streaming server; Billed based on actual hours stream is active with a 2 hour minimum and in hourly increments; separate fee to archive the stream for future viewing. See the pricing section for more information.
- Archived Content and On-Demand Streaming: setup fee is per directory/folder; a separate directory is required for each account string; billed at actual storage used (with min Gb requirement). Two options for storage are available including both individual file storage and bulk storage managed by the end-user department. Some storage may be at no cost if the content is considered academic in nature (academic being defined/determined based on the material being associated with an active course in Banner.) See the pricing section for more information.
$32.00 / hour (during
regular business hours
assuming basic facilitation;
other periods is limited and
at an additional cost)
2 hour min. billing
|User must provide capture equipment, network connection(s) and personnel; IT provides management of the stream and streaming server; Billed based on actual hours stream is active with a 2 hour minimum and in hourly increments; separate fee to archive the stream for future viewing|
Archiving & On-Demand Streaming(Individual file/event basis)
See Note below related to
$45.00 / Gb annually
Setup fee is per directory/folder; a separate directory is required for each account string; billed at actual storage used and in 1Gb increments (min 1 Gb billing); if you have previously set up On-Demand, the set-up fee will not apply.
Archiving & On-Demand Streaming(Bulk storage)
$200 / 10Gb annually
Setup fee for top level directory; a separate directory is required for each account string; billed in increments of 10gb; user group manages all uploading, directories, etc.; if you have previously set up On-Demand, the set-up fee will not apply.
NOTE: For individual archived files (not bulk services) if the content is determined to be for Academic Use (defined by the material being associated with an ACTIVE Banner course) there may be no cost for the services. If you believe your content meets the Academic criteria, contact Instructional Technology at 205-934-0429 for more details or click here.
- Wowza Media Server 3 is compatible with Flash Player, Silverlight Smooth Streaming player, QuickTime player, VLC, native playback on iOS devices, as well as with a variety of native H.264/AAC capable players on 3GPP, set-top boxes, and other devices.
- Wowza Media Server 3 supports several variants of RTMP as well as HDS for Flash, Silverlight Smooth Streaming, Apple HLS for iPhone/iPad and other compatible devices, RTSP/RTP for Android, QuickTime and other 3GPP mobile devices, and MPEG-TS for set-top boxes. See specifications for a current list of supported protocols.
- Wowza Media Server 3 supports streaming to many types of devices, including PCs, Macs, iPhones/iPads and other devices supporting HLS, Android smart phones/tablets, other 3GPP smartphones/tablets, Internet connected TVs, IPTV/OTT set-top boxes, etc.