Staff Employee :
A Personal Leave of Absence of up to three months is available to eligible employees. For staff employee eligibility requirements, click here. (You and UAB Section 4.13)
A formal, written request for personal leave must be submitted to the employee's department head at least one month before the beginning date of the leave. Personal leaves must be approved by the hospital administrator or appropriate dean or vice president.
Faculty members may be granted a Personal Leave of Absence without pay of up to one year for justifiable reasons and may be renewed for a second year. For faculty eligibility requirements, click here. (UAB Faculty Handbook Section 7.5.1)
In either case, approval must be given by the department chair, the appropriate dean or library director and the Provost. Any renewal of leave of absence beyond two years must be approved by the President.
Click on the link to obtain a copy of the Faculty Request for Approval of Sabbatical or Personal Leave form.
Things you need to know before creating a Personal LOA with pay or without pay ACT document:
- Begin and end date of the approved Personal LOA.
- Amount of Accrued Benefit Time the employee has available:
Biweekly paid employees - accrual balances can be viewed in the Administrative System using the "View Biweekly Accrual Balances" menu option. For instructions on how to view the View Biweekly Accrual Balances, click here.
Monthly paid employees - accrual time balances are monitored on the departmental level; monthly paid employee accrual balances are not maintained or monitored in the Administrative System.
- During a Personal LOA, personal holidays and vacation time must be paid through normal payroll procedures before an employee can be placed in a "non-paid" status.
- Begin and end date of any portion of the personal LOA to be without pay.
- Leave of absence requests for child-care beyond the time of pregnancy-related disability must meet the requirements of personal leave.
Documentation has been developed to assist end users in processing Personal Leave of Absence documents; you may access the training documentation by clicking on the appropriate link.