Because your BlazerID password is used to open the door to many services and features on the UAB network, it is vital that it be strong enough to resist guessing by casual means. Someone breaking into your UAB records can be the first step toward identity theft which is being well-publicized now. To be sure you have a strong password, make sure it follows these rules:
The BlazerID registration and password screens try to ensure these rules are followed to the best extent possible. Note that strong passwords do not have to be difficult to remember; combining a couple of familiar words and either replacing one letter with a number, or separating the words with a number or acceptable punctuation, is a common way of creating a password that is both easy to recall by you and hard to guess by others.
- Must be at least eight (8), no more than sixteen (16) characters in length
- Must be a mix of letters, numbers, and optionally punctuation characters [except equal sign (=) comma (,) or quotation marks (') or (") or spaces/blanks]
- Should not include any part of your own name, or the names of any family members, pets, or friends
- Should not include your BlazerID, or any personal identification number, phone number, or your birth date
- Should not be a single word, in any common language