To edit individual and entity directory contact information, please follow the steps below:
1. Go to http://www.uab.edu/directory/ for the new UAB electronic phonebook
2. Click Authenticate and log in with your BlazerID and password
3. In the left navigation, click Directory Edit
4. Use the Search field to find the individual or entity to change the necessary information.
5. Once you entity is found, click on Bluepages
6. Edit the departmental listing as necessary
Software available through IT can either be downloaded to your system or ordered through AskIT at 6-5555 or via e-mail (AskIT@uab.edu). Where downloads are available they are the quickest way to get the software, but not all titles can be downloaded due to licensing restrictions. Check the Software Overview page for a quick list of software agreements and how the software is made available (some software is downloadable via a 3rd party site) or check the Software Download site for software that is available direclty from UAB IT. Downloads require appropriate login using your Blazer ID and password.
The Campus agreement with Microsoft covers a certain set of software on a campus-wide basis... software such as MS Office that is used by almost everyone on campus. The Campus agreement is an annual term 'site license' based on the number of faculty/staff/students covered. The Campus agreement requires renewal and payment annually to remain in effect.
The Select agreement with MS is basically a volume discount arrangement for software products not included in the Campus agreement. These products are not widely installed, but more limited to use in certain departments or on specific systems such as servers. UAB projects an annual purchase volume (by category, not by software title) and MS provides discounts based on that projection. Should UAB not meet the annual projections future pricing would be based on the actual level of purchases from the prior year.usually at a reduced level of discount. Most product purchased under the Select agreement is granted as a perpetual license with a single upfront payment. No annual renewal fee is required to continue to use the software, but maintenance/support is available as an option.
See the Microsoft Agreement link for more information on what is available under the Campus and Select agreements.
Every UAB faculty, staff, and student (where applicable) is responsible for adhering to software copyright laws and license rights. While IT Software Licensing will ensure that appropriate licensing information is published for products included on the IT web site, it is the responsibility of each school, department, faculty/staff member, and student to maintain accurate records for all software installed on their systems. Records should include the software title, date and source of the purchase (including software acquired through this web site or AskIT), and where installed. For software not covered under a UAB site license, a sales order/invoice or the original physical media/license key would qualify as proof of a valid license. Note that only one method can be used for any one software title as proof, not a combination of the two for the same application.
Communicate to everyone in your area the need to understand and follow the rights granted by the license.
- Don't use one licensed copy to install a program on multiple systems.
- Don't make unauthorized copies of disks for distribution.
- Don't use UAB software at home unless the license specifically allows it.
- Don't use software after the expiration of the license.
- Don't take advantage of upgrade offers without having a legal copy of an earlier, upgradeable version of the software.
- KEEP ACCURATE RECORDS of all software purchased/installed in your area.
Q: I use MS Project (example) on my computer and I have a copy of the media. My colleague also needs Project on her system. I know she is planning on placing an order for the software next week. Can I loan her my media to install so she can begin working immediately?
A: No, for MS Project that would be a violation of your license. Your colleague must have her own license prior to installing the software. For other titles such as MS Office covered under the Campus agreement loaning media would be acceptable. If in doubt contact AskIT for guidance.
You can have an e-mail address listed by registering an BlazerID in the Phonebook. Note that when you do this, your alias-based address, e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org, will be listed rather than your real mailbox. This ensures people will get an address for you that is unlikely to change, even if you move to another mail server.
If you are already registered in the Phonebook but your e-mail address does not appear, or if you need to change your real mailbox address, you can use the Change Information function in the Phonebook to update your entry.
Any information in the Phonebook which is not provided by you (via the Change Information function) is downloaded from official UAB records databases. These records are used for a number of other purposes, so we cannot allow you to directly modify these fields in the Phonebook. If we did, that would leave the other records still inaccurate and result in the Phonebook not reflecting official UAB data.
If you are a student, the Registrar's Office maintains your records. You may make changes to your address, phone number, class, major or degree information by logging in to BlazerNET. To change your name, you must present your Social Security Card reflecting your new name in person at One Stop Student Services, HUC 118. For further assistance, you may contact the One Stop at (205) 934-4300 or email@example.com or visit our office in HUC 118.
If you are a UAB employee, your information such as office location and phone/FAX numbers, department, and job title, is provided to the Phonebook from the Oracle HR system. Updates must be submitted to Oracle via an ACT data change document initiated by your department's personnel officer. For more information, please see the Campus Directory Update page.
If you are an HSF employee, your information is provided to the Phonebook from the Lawson system. In order to make changes to your information, please contact the Human Resource Center as described on the Campus Directory Update page.
If you are a UAB Health System employee, or work for any of the UAB Health System affiliates such as VIVA, Callahan Eye Foundation, and so on, you should contact the appropriate Human Resources office.
As noted in the Phonebook registration instructions, it is very difficult (if not impossible) to change a BlazerID/Phonebook alias once it has been set. The BlazerID is used for authentication by a number of services, as well as the forwarding mechanism for your @uab.edu e-mail. If your BlazerID changes, then all these services have to be changed as well; and all e-mail to your former @uab.edu address becomes undeliverable, creating headaches for your correspondents and the maintainers of any discussion lists to which you belong. If you simply desire a new @uab.edu address, you can accommoplish this by registering a mail-only alias, as described here.
Setup Autodiscover for Outlook 2007 while on the UAB domain
- Open Outlook 2007. If the Outlook 2007 Startup Wizard displays automatically, on the first page of the wizard, select Next.
- Then, on the E-mail Accounts page of the wizard, select Nextagain to set up an Email account.
- On the Auto Account Setup page, Outlook will try to automatically fill in Your Name and Email addresssettings based on how you’re logged on to your computer.
- After you select Next on the Auto Account Setuppage of the wizard, Outlook will perform an online search to find your email server settings.
- This is what you will see when it finds the information about your Account automatically. Select Next.
- You will now be able to select Finish and open Outlook.
Setup Outlook 2007 while NOT on the UAB domain
- Open Outlook 2007. The Startup Wizard will display automatically. On the first page of the wizard, select Next.
- On the E-mail Accounts page of the wizard, select Nextagain to setup the account.
- Finally, just above the Account Settings button, select Add Account. You will see the Auto Account setup page. You will need to enter information for the fields Your Name, Email address (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org) and Password (BlazerID). Once all information has been entered, select Next.
NOTE: If you are not sure if you are on the UAB domain, please check out our FAQ on how to determine that.