We can retrieve your mailbox data if you make a request from the AskIT Help Desk within 21 days of the deletion. You can keep your e-mail address as long as you have it forwarded to an outside e-mail service like Gmail, Hotmail, or Yahoo. You can recreate your mailbox once you are an active student or employee at the university. If you have additional questions, please call 996-5555 or go to www.uab.edu/askit, where you can chat with an online agent
- Exchange accounts for students are retained for 1 year after the student leaves UAB.
- For faculty and staff, the retention period is 3 months.
For more information on how to manage your address following deletion, click here.
How do I clean my mailbox to save space? Or, do I need to ask for more mailbox space?
Since the Central Exchange accounts have a certain email quota for Students and Faculty/Staff, here are the best steps to help save space in your mailbox.
Remember: all of the folders in your mailbox, other than Personal folder files (PST) or Personal Archives, count on your overall space in your mailbox.
- Delete your Deleted Items. You can right-click the folder and click “Empty Deleted Items” or open the folder and shift+delete your email to permanently delete the email.
- Delete the Sent Items in your mailbox. You’re sent items like your Deleted items can house a good bit of emails that can be deleted.
- Use Mailbox Cleanup. This is built into Outlook 2010 only. You can access this by doing the following:
- Select File inside your Outlook.
- Select Cleanup Tools. You can view the mailbox space before selecting the Cleanup Tools button.
- You can choose:
- Empty Deleted Items.
- Mailbox Cleanup. Mailbox Cleanup allows you to use advanced tools to cleanup large emails and older items by the options you previously set. It also allows you to delete items that are in conflict with others.
- Archive. Archive your items to a personal folder file (*.PST).
To help you determine how much space you have and how to increase your space, you can go to http://www.uab.edu/itbilling and request more space for your mailbox.
- Use our tested clients and browsers - The clients that have been tested and approved for working with Exchange 2010 are Outlook 2003, Outlook 2007, Outlook 2010, and Outlook 2011 for MAC using Exchange. Mozilla Thunderbird, Apple Mail, and Windows Mail have been tested using SSL IMAP and SSL POP3. Other mail clients have not been tested but may work using settings similar to those published above. OWA web-based mail has been tested on the latest versions of Internet Explorer, Firefox (Windows and OS X), Safari (Windows and OS X), and Chrome (Windows and OS X).
- Use Autodiscover but verify - Autodiscover automatically configures user profile settings for clients running Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010, as well as supported mobile phones. Other clients may support a form of Autodiscover for setting up your email account but in our testing you might have issues with pulling and sending your email. So, the best practice is to verify proper settings before you use the client.
- Use cached Exchange mode or non-cached Exchange mode - Laptops should run in cached Exchange mode; desktops should run in non-cached Exchange mode.
- Wipe data from lost smartphones in Outlook Web App - If you lost a mobile device for which you had Active Sync setup, you can log into OWA (https://mail.ad.uab.edu) to wipe it (Options > Mobile Device > Wipe all devices). If you are not in a situation where you can access Outlook Web app, call the AskIT helpdesk immediately at 996-5555.
- Wipe data from IPhones, Ipads, and other Apple devices – You can do a remote wipe on your Mobile Me account by going by to this Help Article: Mobile Me remote wipe for IPhone. Otherwise, call the AskIT Helpdesk immediately at 996-5555.
- Signature blocks - It is important to keep email signatures brief and professional (i.e. no graphics and no unusual fonts).
- Avoid performance issues with your email client – To avoid issues with emails not being sent/received and performance issues in your email client of choice, we recommend following a weekly or monthly clean out of your email to make sure you do not have any issues. There is a FAQ to help you in looking at issues with email overflow.
- Use Outlook Out of Office Assistant - To set up an out of office reply, it is best to use the Out of Office Assistant (Tools > Out of Office Assistant). The Out of Office Assistant is also now available through Outlook Web Access (Options > Out of Office Assistant). If you have questions, contact AskIT (205-996-5555 or AskIT@uab.edu).
- Use Resource accounts and entity aliases for functions rather than personal accounts - Contact AskIT (205-996-5555 or AskIT@uab.edu) if you need to set up a resource account. To setup your Entity aliases, you will need to talk with the departments’ Bluepage administrator. You can find your Bluepage admin by going to http://www.uab.edu/directory and typing in your Department name in the search field and enter. Then select directory contacts to find the person that does the editing and creating of entries in your department.
- Consider shared calendars - For management of calendars among multiple individuals, users should set up a distribution list and add the individuals to that list. That distribution list can then be added as a delegate for the calendar.
ActiveSync Setup Procedure
For Android, iPhone, Windows Mobile, and other devices
With most mobile devices, you will need to adjust specific settings to set up ActiveSync/Exchange. These settings are interchangeable on any device you have that uses ActiveSync to integrate your email.
The settings are:
- Email: email@example.com
- Password: your Blazerid password
- Server: mail.ad.uab.edu
- Domain: UAB
- Username: Blazerid
- SSL: turn this setting on
Please follow the instructions that correspond with your mobile device type (Android, iOS, or Windows mobile phone) to complete email setup for your operating system.
- Open your Applications.
- Select Settings.
- You should see Accounts or Accounts & Sync depending on your exact device. Select one.
- Select Add Account.
- You should now see an option for Corporate or Exchange or ActiveSync/Exchange. Select one.
- You will now see the field's Email Address (e.g. - firstname.lastname@example.org) and Password (e.g. - BlazerID password). Enter those now, and select Next. You may need to additional information if the phone cannot be set up automatically. Additional info:
- Exchange mail server: mail.ad.uab.edu
- Username: blazerid
- Select Settings.
- Select Mail, Contacts, and Calendars.
- Select Add Account.
- Select Microsoft Exchange.
- You can now type your Email Address (email@example.com), Username (BlazerID), and Password (BlazerID password).
Windows Mobile Phone
- On Start, scroll left to the applications list, select Settings, and then Email & Accounts.
- Select Add an account > Outlook.
- Select the Email address box, and then type your firstname.lastname@example.org for your Exchange Server email account.
- Select the Password box, and then type your BlazerID password.
- Select Sign in.
Set Up Exchange - Mac® Mail
With the release of OS 10.6 Snow Leopard, Mac Mail, iCal, and Address Book can integrate with Microsoft Exchange.
Note: For best performance with Exchange, we highly recommend using Autodiscover.
To set up Mac Mail for Exchange with Autodiscover, perform the following steps:
- Open Mac Mail. If this is the first time that it has been used, the Setup Assistant will appear. Otherwise, select File / Add Account.
- Enter the following information:
- Full Name-Enter your first and last name. This is the name that will appear in the From field of messages you send.
- Email Address-Enter your entire email address (e.g., email@example.com).
- Password-Enter the Blazerid password for your email account.
- Select the Continue button.
- If you get a Verify Certificate pop-up, select the Connect button.
- An Account Summary page will open. To access your contacts through Address Book, select the Address Book contacts check box. To access your calendar through iCal, select the iCal calendars check box.
- Select the Create button.
If you need to manually setup Mac mail, here are the server settings you will need to use.
Mail Server: mail.ad.uab.edu
Your Username: BlazerID
Your password: BlazerID password.
The following Exchange clients are supported: Outlook 2010, Outlook 2007, Outlook 2011 (MAC), Entourage 2008 EWS Edition, OS X Mail App.
POP/IMAP clients that known to work include: Thunderbird. We will continue to support the Pop/IMAP Services but Pop/IMAP client support is limited.