We can retrieve your mailbox data if you make a request from the AskIT Help Desk within 21 days of the deletion. You can keep your e-mail address as long as you have it forwarded to an outside e-mail service like Gmail, Hotmail, or Yahoo. You can recreate your mailbox once you are an active student or employee at the university. If you have additional questions, please call 996-5555 or go to www.uab.edu/askit, where you can chat with an online agent
- Exchange accounts for students are retained for 1 year after the student leaves UAB.
- For faculty and staff, the retention period is 3 months.
For more information on how to manage your address following deletion, click here.
How do I clean my mailbox to save space? Or, do I need to ask for more mailbox space?
Since the Central Exchange accounts have a certain email quota for Students and Faculty/Staff, here are the best steps to help save space in your mailbox.
Remember: all of the folders in your mailbox, other than Personal folder files (PST) or Personal Archives, count on your overall space in your mailbox.
- Delete your Deleted Items. You can right-click the folder and click “Empty Deleted Items” or open the folder and shift+delete your email to permanently delete the email.
- Delete the Sent Items in your mailbox. You’re sent items like your Deleted items can house a good bit of emails that can be deleted.
- Use Mailbox Cleanup. This is built into Outlook 2010 only. You can access this by doing the following:
- Select File inside your Outlook.
- Select Cleanup Tools. You can view the mailbox space before selecting the Cleanup Tools button.
- You can choose:
- Empty Deleted Items.
- Mailbox Cleanup. Mailbox Cleanup allows you to use advanced tools to cleanup large emails and older items by the options you previously set. It also allows you to delete items that are in conflict with others.
- Archive. Archive your items to a personal folder file (*.PST).
To help you determine how much space you have and how to increase your space, you can go to http://www.uab.edu/itbilling and request more space for your mailbox.
ActiveSync Setup Procedure
For Android, iPhone, Windows Mobile, and other devices
With most mobile devices, you will need to adjust specific settings to set up ActiveSync/Exchange. These settings are interchangeable on any device you have that uses ActiveSync to integrate your email.
The settings are:
- Email: email@example.com
- Password: your Blazerid password
- Server: mail.ad.uab.edu
- Domain: UAB
- Username: Blazerid
- SSL: turn this setting on
Please follow the instructions that correspond with your mobile device type (Android, iOS, or Windows mobile phone) to complete email setup for your operating system.
- Open your Applications.
- Select Settings.
- You should see Accounts or Accounts & Sync depending on your exact device. Select one.
- Select Add Account.
- You should now see an option for Corporate or Exchange or ActiveSync/Exchange. Select one.
- You will now see the field's Email Address (e.g. - firstname.lastname@example.org) and Password (e.g. - BlazerID password). Enter those now, and select Next. You may need to additional information if the phone cannot be set up automatically. Additional info:
- Exchange mail server: mail.ad.uab.edu
- Username: blazerid
- Select Settings.
- Select Mail, Contacts, and Calendars.
- Select Add Account.
- Select Microsoft Exchange.
- You can now type your Email Address (email@example.com), Username (BlazerID), and Password (BlazerID password).
Windows Mobile Phone
- On Start, scroll left to the applications list, select Settings, and then Email & Accounts.
- Select Add an account > Outlook.
- Select the Email address box, and then type your firstname.lastname@example.org for your Exchange Server email account.
- Select the Password box, and then type your BlazerID password.
- Select Sign in.
Set Up Exchange - Mac® Mail
With the release of OS 10.6 Snow Leopard, Mac Mail, iCal, and Address Book can integrate with Microsoft Exchange.
Note: For best performance with Exchange, we highly recommend using Autodiscover.
To set up Mac Mail for Exchange with Autodiscover, perform the following steps:
- Open Mac Mail. If this is the first time that it has been used, the Setup Assistant will appear. Otherwise, select File / Add Account.
- Enter the following information:
- Full Name-Enter your first and last name. This is the name that will appear in the From field of messages you send.
- Email Address-Enter your entire email address (e.g., email@example.com).
- Password-Enter the Blazerid password for your email account.
- Select the Continue button.
- If you get a Verify Certificate pop-up, select the Connect button.
- An Account Summary page will open. To access your contacts through Address Book, select the Address Book contacts check box. To access your calendar through iCal, select the iCal calendars check box.
- Select the Create button.
If you need to manually setup Mac mail, here are the server settings you will need to use.
Mail Server: mail.ad.uab.edu
Your Username: BlazerID
Your password: BlazerID password.
The following Exchange clients are supported: Outlook 2010, Outlook 2007, Outlook 2011 (MAC), Entourage 2008 EWS Edition, OS X Mail App.
POP/IMAP clients that known to work include: Thunderbird. We will continue to support the Pop/IMAP Services but Pop/IMAP client support is limited.