Persons who are formally affiliated with UAB gain access to university-managed electronic resources by means of an officially recognized credential called a “BlazerID." A non-UAB person who needs access to these resources is not eligible to create a BlazerID, and is thus required to obtain a guest username and password. Guest accounts (also referred to as “XIAS” accounts) must be sponsored by a UAB employee, and are subject to an approval and setup process.
Who is a guest?
Guest accounts can be used for many purposes at UAB. Guests can fall into a number of categories, including but not limited to:
- A researcher accessing data stored on a UAB SharePoint site
- A colleague from another institution who needs to access a UAB file share
- A vendor that is remotely supporting a UAB-owned system via VPN
- A site visitor conducting an accreditation review who needs local network access
- A consultant who needs system access to conduct on-site installation or maintenance
- A meeting or conference attendee who needs to access UAB WiFi
- A high school guidance counselor who needs access to Banner
As a Sponsor, use the links below to begin the process of setting up a guest account. Once you have completed the underlying form(s), the sponsored user or users will receive automated emails that will guide them through the process of completing the setup. Once the setup is complete, you will receive an email confirmation and information on next steps.
I would like to…
As a guest, you will receive an automated email that with instructions on how to complete the setup of your sponsored account. You can use the link below to manage certain aspects of your account, such as a forgotten password. Please note that as a guest you are not able to initiate the account creation process; this must be done by a valid UAB-affiliated sponsor.
- Plan A: "Managed Allocation": Departments that routinely host short-term events such as continuing education classes, conferences, or sports camps. These events typically draw numbers of visitors to campus who request or require Internet access and can make use of Wifi capability.
- Plan B: "Ad-hoc Service": Departments that only occasionally host a visiting faculty, or vendor. These guests need Internet access temporarily and can utilize Wifi with their laptop in order make a presentation, contact company resources, or check their email.
Request Access and Provisioning
- Plan A: Guest Wifi Allocation account will be established which allows designated departmental staff to assign Wifi access for their visitors, through the use of an authenticated Web site at https://commservices.comm.uab.edu/guestwifi/login.aspx without ongoing requests to UABIT. The Allocation account will be provisioned with a maximum number of slots which can be in use at any given time.
- Plan B: Departmental finance officers and/or their designees can request Wifi access for a visitor on an as-needed basis, by submitting a service order to UABIT via an authenticated Web site at https://commservices.comm.uab.edu/guestwifi/login.aspx
- Plan A: Five business days to establish a new Allocation account, immediate guest access activation.
- Plan B: Immediate guest access activation
- Plan A: Setup fee of $20 per allocation account, and then $8.50 per month per available access slot
- Plan B: $1.50 per day per guest
Guest user access is also available.