We can retrieve your mailbox data if you make a request from the AskIT Help Desk within 21 days of the deletion. You can keep your e-mail address as long as you have it forwarded to an outside e-mail service like Gmail, Hotmail, or Yahoo. You can recreate your mailbox once you are an active student or employee at the university. If you have additional questions, please call 996-5555 or go to www.uab.edu/askit, where you can chat with an online agent
- What is the URL used to let me send email from outside UAB?
- How do I authenticate in order to send e-mail to an off-campus address when I am also off-campus?
- How often do I need to authenticate?
A mail relay authentication is required when sending email from off-campus to an off-campus address, if you are using UAB's SMTP mail service.
The URL is: www.dpo.uab.edu/relay-info.html
The authorization is based on allowing e-mail to relay from a specific dial-up address, so you must submit the authentication once each time you connect to your ISP. Do the authentication after you connect and before you try to send mail. If you stay connected for more than a couple of hours at a time, you should take advantage of the function to automatically renew your authorization every half hour. It may be easier to set your home PC to use the SMTP server recommended by your ISP. This way, you will not have to authenticate at all.
What are the Ideal Mail Server Settings when you need to manually setup an email client that does not support Exchange?
- Mail Setting type: IMAP
- Mail Server: mail.ad.uab.edu
- SSL is set.
- Mail Server Port: 993
- Password: BlazerID password.
- Outgoing Mail Server: Relay.ad.uab.edu
- Mail Server port: 587
- SSL is set.
- Server does require you to login with your BlazerID and password.
- Open Outlook Web App (OWA). The URL is https://mail.ad.uab.edu.
- Sign in with your BlazerID & Password.
- In the top right corner, click Options> See All Options.
- On the left side, click Organize E-mail.
- At the top center, click Delivery Reports.
- Click Select Usersin the “Search for Messages I’ve sent to:” section.
- Find the person you sent the email to, double-click their name, and click the OK button at the bottom (note: if you sent an email to multiple persons, you only have to supply the name of one recipient).
- On the right side, click Search.
- Find the email in question in the Search Results window and double-click it.
- The next screen will show you the delivery status and time delivered for each person that the email was addressed to.
- Delivery Reports are only available for messages sent within the past 7 days.
- If you sent the message off-campus, you will see this message in the Delivery Report: “The message was successfully handed off to a different e-mail system. This is as far as we can track it.” If you see that message, then the email made it out of UAB’s email system and we cannot track it any further. You will need to contact the recipient’s email administrators if message tracking is needed beyond this point.