UAB IT has a procedure for secure media destruction of discs, CDs, DVDs, tapes and hard drives.
Departmental IT personnel should call AskIT or submit a ticket to AskIT requesting an appointment for secure media destruction, then fill out a UAB Secure Media Destruction Custody Form with the ticket number. AskIT staff will make an appointment for you to bring the media and the form to the AskIT help desk in Cudworth Hall (CEC 225).
- The individual transferring the media to UAB IT's AskIT help desk is required to verify all media listed on the forms is present.
- All media must be listed on forms and numbered.
- Media not numbered or listed on forms will not be accepted.
- All fields on forms must be completed.
- Each form must accompany the related media.
Once in the possession of AskIT, the media is stored securely until it is picked up by UAB IT staff for transport to the destruction site. The media is delivered to the Waste Holding Facility to be destroyed using the metal shredder or incinerator as appropriate. UAB IT personnel are required to witness the destruction of media and record this on the form you submit. The form will be attached to the work order created with AskIT.