Oracle Administrative System Documentation and Training Information
The Oracle Administrative System is an integrated suite of Human Resource (HR) and Finance (FN) modules used by the University of Alabama at Birmingham for administrative operations and record keeping. It is a web-based system that includes a Self Service Application for all employees, as well as, HR and FN Applications for staff and faculty to conduct day-to-day business. The Oracle Administrative System uses an Oracle database and is typically referred to as "Oracle".
Oracle Administrative System – Training, Instruction and Online Documentation
The Oracle Administrative System Instruction and Development Team is dedicated to providing training and instruction material to assist users of the Oracle Administrative System. To accommodate the training needs of the campus community, a variety of training methods have been developed Details are available by clicking on the links below. Please click on the links below for additional information. For questions regarding training and instructions for the Oracle Administrative System, please email email@example.com.
- Computer Classroom Instruction
Weekly “Walk-In” Oracle Users Clinic – The Oracle Administrative System Instruction and Development team is available every Thursday afternoon from 2:00 to 3:30 in AB B60 computer classroom to assist users of the Oracle Administrative Systems with the following:
- 2:00 – 3:30 General assistance in resolving problems or individualized training
(Users may come and go during the 2:00 – 3:30 time period)
- 2:00 – 2:30 Approving or Certifying Effort Reports
(must have UAB Effort Report User responsibility and register for the class via the UAB Faculty & Staff Learning System)
- 2:30 – 3:00 Reporting Biweekly Time Using the TEL Document
(must have UAB TEL responsibility and register for the class via the UAB Faculty & Staff Learning System)
- Online Instruction and Documentation – This online documentation is designed to provide users of the Oracle Administrative System with information and step-by-step instructions for effectively using the various system applications. Documentation has been developed for each system application, and can be accessed by clicking on the links below.
- Using Oracle - Overview and Basics - (recommended for all users)
- Using the UAB Self Service Application - (recommended for all UAB Employees, Trainees and Volunteers)
- Viewing UAB Self Service Views (Ex-UAB Employees, Trainees and Volunteers)
- Using the Human Resource Applications (recommended for users responsible for the processing of ACT, TEL and Salary Reclass documents)
- Using the Finance Applications (recommended for users responsible for the processing of Payment Request, Purchase Requisitions, Journal Entries or GL and GA Reporting)
In addition, the Oracle Administrative System Instructors perform/provide the following:
System Alerts/Announcements – ensures that the campus community is aware of any new features and system updates and/or changes.
· Special training sessions for groups needing training or assistance with specific Oracle processes. To request a special session, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Assistance to AskIT in providing Oracle-related desktop support.
o Contact AskIT at 205-996-5555
· System testing and assistance with System implementation processes.
· Collaboration with the user community to ensure continual assessment of System uses and needs.
Sign up for the Organizational Learning and Development E-newletter
Organizational Learning and Development sends a monthly e-newsletter with information about upcoming classes and new classes added to the schedule, as well as tips and other resources. Click here to join our e-newsletter mailing list. Your email address will not be shared and you may choose to cancel your registration at any time.
The Nonrecurring Element and the Recurring Element ACT document reasons are identified as Element Type ACT documents.
Nonrecurring Element ACT documents are used to compensate employees/trainees for specific duties or activities. For a listing of available pay elements on a Nonrecurring Element ACT document, click here.
For more details on nonrecurring element payments, refer to the Payroll Services website by clicking on the following link: UAB Financial Affairs - Payroll Services Overview.
Recurring Element ACT documents are used to cost or distribute Average Flat Rate charges on Post Doc Trainee's (20). For detailed Average Flat Rate charges, click here.
Step-by-step instructions have been developed to assist ends users with the processing of Element Type ACT documents.
Instructions can be accessed by clicking on the green links below:
A Medical Leave of Absence of up to 16 work weeks is available to eligible employees for a serious health condition of the employee that makes the employee unable to work.
For eligible assignment categories, click here. (You and UAB Section 4.13)
- The employee must apply for a Medical Leave of Absence through his or her supervisor or department head
- All Medical Leave of Absences must be approved through UAB Employee Health Services before submitting a Medical Leave of Absence ACT document.
For more information about Medical Leaves of Absences and required forms, click here.
Information you need to know before creating an MLOA with pay or without pay document:
- Begin and end date of the approved medical leave of absence.
- Amount of Accrued Benefit Timethe employee has available.
Biweekly paid employees - accrual balances can be viewed in the Administrative System using the "View Biweekly Accrual Balances" menu option. For instructions on how to view the View Biweekly Accrual Balances, click here.
Monthly paid employees - accrual time balances are monitored on the departmental level; monthly paid employee accrual balances are not maintained or monitored in the Administrative System.
- During a medical leave of absence accrued sick leave, personal holiday and vacation time must be paid through standard payroll procedures before an employee can be placed in a "non-paid" status.
- Begin and end date of any portion of the medical leave of absence to be without pay.
Documentation has been developed to assist end users in processing Medical Leave of Absence documents; you may access the training documentation by clicking on the appropriate link.